Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Re: Digital Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I didn't say it was kept as a photo on your phone (though I keep my Medicare and Driving licence as a photo on my phone) I said it was LIKE a photo on your phone - it is in an app.

Every car has a way of charging your phone, everybody can afford a power bank. These are just silly objections, wallets can be stolen or left at home, everything has some short coming but these days most people would not leave home without their phone.

One reasonable objection is that you can not touch your phone in NSW if your engine is running so you have to wait until a policeman asks to see your licence.
Bruce I don't bother to carry a charging cord in my car. If the phone dies that's ok because I don't need it. We are far too reliant on little electronic contraptions. People on the train sit there staring at them with little frown lines forming and their mouths down turned.

When we arrived at a restaurant yesterday a friend laughed because everyone but her had taken their phone out and we were all sitting and staring at our screens.

It's a great money spinner for technology manufacturers but we lived perfectly well before all this rubbish. It's just contributing to a mobile phone landfill somewhere and shareholder wealth.

You change your phone and you have to suddenly remember all these stupid passwords. I'm just transferring stuff to a new phone and when I try to use apps it asks for registration info. I tried to move personal data but it said it didn't have enough memory! What a stupid waste of our time.

This technology will be obsolete in a few years so this is just a gravy train for developers and a headache for the rest of us. Who knows how secure it is. Now people are even putting chips into their bodies. That will be next.

What's wrong with a card or paper licence?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Had a clean licence since 1962. First was a. Red book ( still got) then a paper one now a card one, don't want another change
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Still have the paper one. I've never even bothered to get a card one. Perhaps I should. I thought you had to pay for it.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 05:58 PM

For future reference if you need to renew your licence in the UK if you go to a post office that offers the service they take the photos and you avoid the need for getting signatures from a responsible person.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have just had a nightmare getting a card driving licence.
First I couldn't get a suitable photograph, I blinked and wasted £10 in the photo booth so came home and took my own using my ipad.
I am very surprised about this. When you renew your licence in NSW they take your picture at the same time.

At one time, when it was the RTA, they would then tell you to sit down and wait for the licence (usually only took a few minutes). Since all interaction with any government department has all been combined in Services NSW they now give you a piece of paper to produce to the police (if they stop you) and post the licence out to you. A step backwards in my opinion
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

What's wrong with a card or paper licence?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it (though paper licences disappeared decades ago) but having all your cards in your phone will be far more convenient and cheaper, no need to carry a wallet, no postage, printing etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
You do realise, you’ll have to get your hair cut EXACTLY the same as in the photo, plus alter your complection too
@Primus
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Still have the paper one. I've never even bothered to get a card one. Perhaps I should. I thought you had to pay for it.
Annie it is compulsory to have a photo licence when you are 70.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

17-12-2018, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
For future reference if you need to renew your licence in the UK if you go to a post office that offers the service they take the photos and you avoid the need for getting signatures from a responsible person.
Nothing like that around here Ray ,
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 12:19 PM

You can't hire a car with out a card licence

Everything will go on your phone eventually

Don't forget this is all aimed at youngsters not old farts we do not count anymore and thats how it should be

Cast your mind back to when you were 18 and new everything and old people did not understand and new nothing well no difference

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top