Join for free
Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 05:13 PM

Re: Fiona Onasanya

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I see from that article that she's still entitled to a pension so it would appear that cheats do actually prosper.
My opinion on work (?) related pensions centre around building a pension entitlement is a part of the compensation package for work done.

Note work DONE.

On that basis it would be absolutely wrong to strip what was a part of the compensation package due to an individual that included salary, holiday pay, private health insurance, and a whole lot more for work already completed.

After all, the money in a pension pot is a part of the salary that had already been paid.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Onasanya's 2 year tenure in Parliament entitles her to at least £18,000 in the pot (more according to some calculations) but how much will that generate in pension payment in 40 years time (when the retirement age will be 75?) .....
Some time ago now an amount of £13,000, left as a 'paid-up policy' in one of my personal pensions for around 20 years, generated £64,000 with which I bought an annuity. The original amount was quite small as 'pension pots' go. At the time I took the advice of a financial advisor to leave it as a 'paid-up policy', which turned out to be good advice.

That may give a very rough idea of the amount that could be generated in this case.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 12:40 AM

Pensions and pension schemes are notoriously complicated the only thing that is certain is that the more you put in your pot the more you will receive in retirement.

If Onasanya, who is approaching 40, hasn't already got much in her pot then her chances of adding much to it are, potentially, slim.

Relevant illustrations:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/financia...d-pension-pot/

More than half of those aged between 40 and 60 years old (54%) say they want to save but can’t afford to do so, which means they struggle to put money away for retirement as finances are spread too thinly.

People in this age group have average pension savings of just £60,000, while expecting their funds to last around 20 years, which would provide a monthly income of around £250.

According to research by insurer Royal London in May 2018, you’d need a pension pot of £260,000 if you want to avoid an uncomfortable retirement. This sum would provide a pension income of just over £9,000 a year in addition to the new state pension of £8,546.20 a year.
If my calculations are correct then savings of at least £6,000 per year for 40 years are required to reach a pension pot of £260,000 .....

Just to "avoid an uncomfortable retirement" .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
My opinion on work (?) related pensions centre around building a pension entitlement is a part of the compensation package for work done.

Note work DONE.

On that basis it would be absolutely wrong to strip what was a part of the compensation package due to an individual that included salary, holiday pay, private health insurance, and a whole lot more for work already completed.

After all, the money in a pension pot is a part of the salary that had already been paid.
I've known people who have lost their company pensions because of their dubious actions while working for my previous employer. That should have been the case here.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 05:43 AM

I've known people who have lost their company pensions because of their dubious actions while working for my previous employer. That should have been the case here.
There is no evidence that she undertook any dubious actions that related to her work during the time she was employed as an MP.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 08:21 AM

So lying to avoid a criminal conviction thus bringing parliament into disrepute isn't classed as dubious in your eyes?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

03-05-2019, 08:48 AM

So lying to avoid a criminal conviction thus bringing parliament into disrepute isn't classed as dubious in your eyes?
Of course not, but there is no evidence that up to the point that she told a lie she had done anything that adversely affected the work that she had been doing or that had brought Parliment into disrepute.

Make no mistake, I'm no fan of this #female-dog or her politics but to in effect claw back a substantial part of her PAST compensation package on the basis of an offence that she committed that resulted in what is in effect her dismissal, irrespective of my personal feelings, would be grossly unfair as well as resulting in a feeding frenzy for lawyers.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 10:23 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-48153535

Disgraced former MP Fiona Onasanya will not fight in Peterborough's by-election on 6 June, she has confirmed on Twitter.

In a series of tweets, she thanked those who supported her, but added she had also received "racially abusive, threatening, bullying" messages.

She added she would continue clearing her name.
First the good news, then the bad news .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 11:02 PM

The final part of the course of justice now having been seen to have been done. Was it worth it, rather than as most people would have done and just admitted who was driving the car?

"Disgraced former Labour MP Fiona Onasanya has been struck off as a solicitor for lying to avoid a speeding conviction.

The 35-year-old, who worked in commercial property law before her election to parliament in 2017, was jailed for perverting the course of justice last year by claiming someone else was driving her car.

A number of allegations were found proven by a misconduct tribunal on Tuesday, meaning she can no longer practise as a regulated solicitor."

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-08-06/...ng-conviction/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

"Disgraced former Labour MP Fiona Onasanya has been struck off as a solicitor for lying to avoid a speeding conviction.
Good thing too...

Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top