Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 12:03 AM

Re: Your Computer Filing System?

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
Out of interest what "editing" do you do with Picasa? It's red eye removal is the best I've found in a freebie but the rest I've never really used. (Even my 17 year old with all her apps and smart phones can't remove red eye as well as me and Picasa!!! )
Speaking very generally I mainly use 'crop' to make a set of photos consistent, for example landscapes often look better 16:9 and my cameras are set for different formats 3:2 and 4:3.

Sometimes 'Auto Contrast' can smarten up a shot very quickly too by making whites white and blacks black.

In the past I have used some of the novelty effects like Sepia or Boost for a computer desktop picture. That's just a bit of fun.

This was my desktop for a while - a cropped, boosted and and added contrast version of Turner's Fighting Temeraire. A travesty for art lovers but a fun desktop for a while.

Funny thing is that I rarely use red eye removal but only because I rarely use flash, in fact I don't think I have used it literally for years but I do recall that it is very effective.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-fighting-temeraire-tugged-to-her-last-berth-to-be-broken-up-1839.jpg!Large.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	8406  
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 12:57 AM

File/Windows Explorer provides a quite good way to batch rename a folder of files. Just select all the files in the folder, right-click on the first file and rename it.

Then click on a blank part of the Window and the files will automatically and quickly rename as shown below.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
File/Windows Explorer provides a quite good way to batch rename a folder of files. Just select all the files in the folder, right-click on the first file and rename it.

Then click on a blank part of the Window and the files will automatically and quickly rename as shown below.

That is true and quite handy for simple renames BUT in the example you showed if you press F5 I think it would then order the photos

Sky (1).jpg
Sky (10).jpg
Sky (11).jpg
Sky (12).jpg
Sky (13).jpg
Sky (2).jpg
Sky (3).jpg
...and so on

Which might not be desired (I realise you can sort on a different column in Windows Explorer) and if you imagine 40 photos with many different descriptions then that would be far more complex

Bulk Rename Utility does look complex and puts people off but once you get the idea that you are only going to use a couple of its features at a time then it becomes clearer.

But for the renaming of photos you only need a very few changes as highlighted in red below and once set up can be saved to be recovered easily again and again.

For example I use it to rename TV episodes from this:

outlander.s04e03.web.h264-convoy.mkv
sally4ever.s01e05.web.h264-memento.mkv
The.Missing.S02E01.HDTV.x264-TLA.mkv

to this:

Outlander S04E03.mkv
Sally4ever S01E05.mkv
The Missing S02E01.mkv

It can do dozens of files each with different names at a time, they can also be in different sub folders all with a single click of a button.

If you get the impression that I am somewhat enamoured with Bulk Rename Utility then you would be right. I really couldn't do without it

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.01.13_11h59m21s_001_Bulk Rename Utility - Pictures-bru.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	8409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.01.13_12h00m35s_002_Bulk Rename Utility - Pictures-bru.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	8410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.01.13_12h19m13s_003_.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	8411  
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is true and quite handy for simple renames BUT in the example you showed if you press F5 I think it would then order the photos

Sky (1).jpg
Sky (10).jpg
Sky (11).jpg
Sky (12).jpg
Sky (13).jpg
Sky (2).jpg
Sky (3).jpg
...and so on
It doesn't do that. I think that's possibly because of the way File Explorer brackets the numbers. I've tried pressing F5 several times with an open folder containing 62 photo files and the result stays the same.

The folder could be divided into sub-folders of different flower categories if necessary ..or individual files renamed within the folder if they are of particular interest.

I mostly use a search of the entire Pictures directory for finding image files. Searching for flowers (for instance) would bring up those numerous results to look through. That's OK but if I thought a photo file might need to stand out from the crowd, it would have been given an individual file name and searching the directory would bring up just that.

This way might not suit everyone but that's how I do it ..and you did ask.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 09:48 AM

I don't keep many photos, I might come home with 50 on my camera (50 jpegs + 50 raw), view them on camera via picasa on my pc, import two, delete the rest by reformatting the card.

I edit in Paint.Net and save to a specific folder in "Pictures" ... might be called something like "Hyde Park", "Covent Gdn", a place where the picture was taken.

I then upload to Google Photos where I have Albums with the same or similar names to my computer Folders. Once online I add photos to other existing albums or maybe start a new album so usually there are two or more albums where a photo can be found.

Many people keep stuff in the clouds as a backup, I consider my pc hard-drive as the backup, the clouds being the place I view and share stuff.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 10:06 AM

For photos though if you use Google photos there is more or less no org needed and you can search on anything - beach, kids, food, dog etc and it will find anything from your 1000s of pics. I think its very clever.
Ah, you add tags do you! I know many people do that on Flickr, I didn't know you could do it on Google photos.

Do you have the same pic in different albums as I do? ....

Kids on the Beach could be in both your "Kids" and "Beach" albums.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:20 AM

I just name the files.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Ah, you add tags do you! I know many people do that on Flickr, I didn't know you could do it on Google photos.
No you don't need to tag anything (don't think you can actually) - it looks at the photos and works it out by magic! Bloody clever if you ask me! I do have face recognition turned on so it also knows my family members and finds them too. No bad for free eh? I don't rename anything as I can't see the point - if everything is logically organised your PC by date or event then you look at the pics thumbnails not the names. In Google photos you don't need to care about filenames
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

13-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It doesn't do that. I think that's possibly because of the way File Explorer brackets the numbers. I've tried pressing F5 several times with an open folder containing 62 photo files and the result stays the same.
No, it is not the brackets - Windows Explorer has got clever. I just tested it by putting a number at the beginning - same result.

However I tried it with some other programs and they sort the way DOS does and how I expected Windows Explorer to behave.

I also found something else I didn't know - when you rename different file types in Windows Explorer they end up with the same index number. Logical when you think about but annoying - I had to change the extensions to TEST. (I had set up these test folders to try some batch files - always useful)

Always something to learn.

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.01.13_21h28m03s_007_.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	8415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.01.13_21h33m18s_008_.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	8416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.01.13_21h14m34s_004_.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	8417  
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

13-01-2019, 11:57 AM

No you don't need to tag anything (don't think you can actually) - it looks at the photos and works it out by magic! Bloody clever if you ask me! I do have face recognition turned on so it also knows my family members and finds them too. No bad for free eh? I don't rename anything as I can't see the point - if everything is logically organised your PC by date or event then you look at the pics thumbnails not the names. In Google photos you don't need to care about filenames
I've just tried it ... Thanks

I searched Bicycle and about a dozen pics were found, that's most of what I've got. Interestingly, I've got a couple of pics of people cycling toward the camera and they weren't found, but side-on shots were. Also HERE is one I did playing with motion blur and that wasn't recognised.

But still ... damn useful, and - as you say - not bad for free!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top