Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Advice needed, please.

My ancient, steam driven, cell 'phone is about to drop dead - it only works in fits and starts now. I will need to replace it soon - but - I do not want a smart android thinking it knows more than me type of thingy - nor do I want a monthly contract. I just want something that does texts and makes calls when necessary, and I can throw a fiver at when credit is low.

Any recommendations?

Will I be able to keep the same number?

Will my contact details transfer over to a new one?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Re: Advice needed, please.

Here are some worth looking at
https://www.doro.com/en-gb/?gclid=Cj...8aAiuuEALw_wcB

Taking your memory card out of your old phone and bunging it into your new phone should do it
Look for a pay as you go
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Here are some worth looking at
https://www.doro.com/en-gb/?gclid=Cj...8aAiuuEALw_wcB

Taking your memory card out of your old phone and bunging it into your new phone should do it
Look for a pay as you go

And unlocked/SIM free so as not to be tied to a particular supplier.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 06:17 PM

If you want a really simple one, that just does, Messages, Texts and Photos, then go for Nokia 3310, my Husband has got that one because he is not very Technically minded, and it is also Pay As You Go.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 06:19 PM

I've recently replaced my iphone 5s and was originally wondering about buying an iphone 7............but the agressive marketing has really put me off. So I bought a Moto G6 Play - I know it's supposedly a smart phone - but you have the option to only use those functions you want to use. I am a serious technophobe, but this was easy to set up. The Moto G6 play was recommended by someone who is in charge of technology for a major business where I live and the reviews for the phone are outstanding. I bought it on black Friday for £129.95 from Argos.........transferring my contacts was really easy. If you can use a computer - just ask google how to do it - you'd have no problems at all. I sold my iphone 5s for £90. So a brand new phone for £40.......not bad.

The phone was unlocked - and I use Giffgaff (they use the O2 network) - and pay £10 .......but you can choose which deal suits you best on https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans.

Good luck
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
The phone was unlocked - and I use Giffgaff (they use the O2 network) - and pay £10 .......
You would get a cheaper deal using 1pMobile.

https://www.1pmobile.com/

Texts 1p each
Calls 1p/min
Data 1p/MB

Pay As You Go and any money you put in remains there until used.

The only commitment required is a £10 top up every 4 months, which is just £30 per year.

To the best of my knowledge you can not get cheaper than this on a PAYG tariff.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 08:26 PM

Tabs,

I've messaged you..
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You would get a cheaper deal using 1pMobile.

https://www.1pmobile.com/

Texts 1p each
Calls 1p/min
Data 1p/MB

Pay As You Go and any money you put in remains there until used.

The only commitment required is a £10 top up every 4 months, which is just £30 per year.

To the best of my knowledge you can not get cheaper than this on a PAYG tariff.
Thanks for that, Realist. Have placed an immediate order!

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 12:55 AM

Thank you everyone - all advice much appreciated.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 07:48 AM

I got my android free but I'm locked into a £15 per month unlimited phone calls and data through Car phone Warehouse....don't all start telling me I was seen off now...it suits me ...no hassle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top