Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 09:41 PM

Leeks! (and other annoying food shopping items)

Well I was planning to make a nice lamb casserole next week. Had all the ingredients but I wanted to buy one leek from the supermarket. Can you believe it that you have to buy a pack of two or three in a plastic package from both Tesco and Sainsbury's! I was incensed to find they both collude on this. A bag of three is £1.50 (at both shops). So annoying because a small leek is likely more than half that price.

Thinking of braving Lidl to see if they sell them.

Is there anything like this that has really annoyed you when food shopping recently?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 09:47 PM

Re: Leeks! (and other annoying food shopping items)

Lidl also sell packs of three

However I find both Tesco and Sainsburys sell them loose as well as the packs, and where I live we only have the small stores, not the superstores
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:11 PM

Annie, l go to Asda for Leeks as they sell them loose. I don’t want the big fat ones that come in threes, l want to choose my own.

It’s the price of Tomatoes, that l think is scandalous. I went to a greengrocer and chose four loose, smallish Tomatoes. At the til, the assistant weighed them and said, they were £1.27.
She remarked, ‘l wouldn’t pay that price for them, why don’t you buy the big tomatoes outside, that are six for a pound.
So l did!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Buy the three - use one in your casserole and make soup with the other two!

Or find a Farm Shop - they sell everything unpacked.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Why not just make some leek soup with the extra? Slice finely into rings and place in a saucepan of cold water to which a veg stock pot/cube has been added. Add a stick of chopped celery and couple of thin slices of fresh ginger, some garlic and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Heat gently then simmer until the leeks and celery are cooked.

Blend if you wish put I like to keep the veggies whole.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Great minds Tabs.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:20 PM

Or, cut them up and freeze them, like l do sometimes.

I put them in Cauliflower Cheese or roast them with other vegetables.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:51 PM

I don't like leeks, they give me wind, bad wind. So do onions & radishes.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 11:32 PM

My local small Asda doesn’t sell single baking potatoes, so if I really want any I have to go half way down the high street to the Sainsbury’s.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

27-02-2019, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I don't like leeks, they give me wind, bad wind. So do onions & radishes.
Thanks for sharing that with us.

Note to self: Don't visit Tiffany's house.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top