Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 09:46 PM

Re: Game of Thrones

Tolkien's epic books cannot be compared with Game of Thrones surely?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 09:54 PM

Not at all Ruthio. Game of Thrones has fantasy elements but much of its plots are based on historical events.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I read Tolkein's books over 50 years ago, and have re-read them many times since. The GoT books stand up well in complexity to LotR, but to be fair you can't compare the GoT TV series to the books, in the same manner you can't compare the LotR films to the books. The books are always - to me at least - better than films or TV. The books have more time to flesh out plots and characters and (to use an old cliche) the scenery is better.

In the same way that the LotR films are cut-down, simplified and abridged versions of the books, the GoT TV series is also cut-down, simplified and abridged. The adult themes can put people off, true, but that's up to the individual.
Thanks for the reply Tachyon

The "book vs film" issue is, for me, just complicating things.

Can we compare LOTR films with GoT TV then?

Even though the LOTR films are abridged (because the books are so long and involved) the films were nevertheless pretty brilliant and faithful to the book and to most avid reader's interpretations of the books.

Is GoT acting and content comparable to LOTR films?

Or is GoT just like the Spartacus TV series, a load of dumbed down tosh full of nudity to keep viewers?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:21 PM

GOT acting is fabulous. The content is unique. The fantasy is really imaginative. It pushes boundaries in a way that Tolkien does not. But Tolkien is a work of fantasy art. The two are not comparable.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Thanks for the reply Tachyon...

...Is GoT acting and content comparable to LOTR films?

Or is GoT just like the Spartacus TV series, a load of dumbed down tosh full of nudity to keep viewers?
Definitely comparable to the LotR films regarding the acting and content, in my opinion. The plot is very intricate too, with intrigue and scheming everywhere - blink and you can miss something that seems unimportant but turns out to be crucial several episodes later. I like something that demands attention to detail but things slipped past me all the same though!

There is a LOT less blood, guts, sex and casual nudity in GoT than in Spartacus - which I felt was over the top a lot of the time - but it does have its moments.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:51 PM

I haven't seen any of it either John, not having Sky.
I do buy box sets but only when a series has completely finished - that is all seasons of it. I buy the actual DVD box as they are handy at the weekends when I'm up most of the night (due to my night shift hours still lingering!) to throw on a full disc.
I'm like you mate, not really into fantasy and preferring 'real time' human storylines, but everyone I know who has seen it say it's excellent.
I have it on my list as a future box to buy after Banshee and Better Call Saul. Deeply into the brilliant Homeland at the moment
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:01 PM

Too violent for me.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Too violent for me.
Wouldn't it be fantastic if Quentin Tarantino made a TV series? Now that would be worth watching
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Well I too have never yet seen GoT

I keep wondering whether to get a boxed set and binge it.

My problem . . . .

I am a keen Fantasy fan but by that I mean proper fantasy and for me Tolkein's Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings are my Bible. The best. Untouchable in their depth of Lore, depth of characters, the mix of adventure and love story and so on.

US TV is sadly awash with pathetic series that all follow the same formula. Special effects, lots of blatant nudity and no depth, no thinking, just dumbed down crap. The recent series Spartacus is a prime example.

I've seen snippets of GoT and at face value it appears to be a "Spartacus" type of thing. That's why I have hesitated thus far.

I need a real Tolkein fan, someone who really understands and cherishes the books, to tell me whether GoT comes anywhere near Tolkein or whether it's just US trash.

Anyone out there in that category
?
Right here, Realist, and - trust me - GofT is trash compared with Tolkien - should not even be mentioned in the same thread!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Right here, Realist, and - trust me - GofT is trash compared with Tolkien - should not even be mentioned in the same thread!!
Ah

ok, such was my suspicion and worry

There was another TV series based on the Terry Brooks Shannara novels. Called the Shannara Chrionicles.

Again it was mostly trashy teen romance fodder. Nothing like the atmosphere I got from reading the books many years ago.

I might have to try the first series of GoT just to satisfy myself, that is if I can get hold of a borrowed copy.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top