Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Advice needed please What is U3A

I had to go and see my doctor yesterday as I am having a few problems breathing again. I was ok till about a month ago.
Sorted that out with her but she said a couple of things I said had worried her and says I'm starting to be far too isolated again.

She wants to see me again in four weeks but in the meantime shes asked me to do some things.

One of them is to contact my local U3A. What is this, some sort of oldies club?

I did go to some group thing a few years ago where I lived before and the woman who ran the group said she was going to bring her ukulele in for a sing song next week. I fled from the place and never went back. I'm 63 not 103.
Is this what happens at U3A?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 03:21 PM

Re: Advice needed please What is U3A

This is my local one https://www.wokingareau3a.co.uk/ you should have one near you monday.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 03:30 PM

University of the third age,
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 05:00 PM

I know Emjay started to go, but he hasn’t said anymore about it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 05:37 PM

I went a few times but I found them a bit cliquish.

The have lots of interesting activities though. Worth giving it a try MC.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 05:41 PM

I dont want to end up going to a club of old bodgers. It will just make me feel old and decrepit. I especially dont want to go to a club where they have sing songs.
I know the Doc said I should go out more to mix with people but I cannot take the dogs anywhere that there are other dogs, people or children as I wouldnt risk it. I know when I am out walking them I tend to have to keep away from people and hide away till they have passed by.

Maybe it will be easier and I wont be so isolated when my daughter takes her dogs back.

I'm not even sure whether I want to see people at all anyway. Im probably best just keeping to myself. Im not even sure now whether it was a good idea to come back to the forum.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 05:45 PM

Oh Monday it's very easy to assume everyone needs company but you wouldn't be first person to be happier alone so do what makes you feel happiest I'd suggest. But keep in touch on the forum you will miss us all if you go and we'd miss you too.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 06:04 PM

Jazzi mentioned that you wanted info of the U3A.
I did go to the monthly meetings and the guest speakers were somtines interesting. A cup of tea and a biscuit and for me that was it.
Yes as has been said they are cliques, unless you know some one or two and you could get acepted.
There are a lot of different actives and outings.
I joined a ‘painting for leasure’ group. But I was the only bloke there.
They are a mixed age lot so it’s up to you to see if it is for you.
I decided that it was not for me, so I have not been for some time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 11:21 PM

MC, it is nothing to do with old codgers having a sing along!
Have you googled your local branch of the U3A to see what they do?

In my local one, here are just some of the things they offer:

Cycling group

Badminton

Video editing

Painting for Pleasure

Gardening

Crib and solo Whist

Wine appreciation

Digital photographer

Computing

10-pin Bowling

And the list goes on, there are many more topics.

I would suggest again, that you google your local branch and see what they have to offer.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:15 AM

A few years ago I moved to another town and needed to meet people
The problem is that you are unlikely to find something that is exactly and perfectly what you want, so you must accept this and try to be flexible

These are some of the things I've done or joined. Search t'Net & YouTube to find out more

U3A aka the University of the Third Age - A social club for retired people; various activities and interests, but admittedly it does tend to be a bit middle class

Men's Sheds Association - A social club mainly, but not exclusively, for men
Based around practical activities like woodwork, car or bicycle repair, but informal and these activities are used as a framework for chatting, tea drinking, and company in general

Working Men's Club They do tend to be based on drinking, snooker, football etc but you don't have to do that. They have other activities & entertainment, and I have found the people to be very friendly & pleasant

The local Ramblers group - self explanatory. It's rambling, not serous hillwalking

A local woodcarving & woodturning club. It was OK for a while, and the people were friendly enough, but I realised that I wasn't keen enough to warrant a regular membership

A local pub has bands on at the weekend; I'm getting to know a few of the regulars

When I was in my 20s I joined CAMRA; I might try them again
I wouldn't mind joining something like an engineering society or classic car club, but there doesn't seem to be one in my area

Your local library should have a list of local clubs & associations

I am a member of the Backpackers Club. Besides the official Club meets it also serves as an introduction agency (!) for people to arrange their own trips
The same sort of principle goes for other groups & clubs; besides their official activities you get to know people & make friends

I think there is a problem now with activities for older people - I'm 68, which means I was a teenager in the 1960s, and a lot of my favourite music was blues & prog rock. I don't want whist drives or bowling, but that message doesn't seem to be getting through to the various charities & organisations

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top