Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 12:59 AM

Re: Aching Legs

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Could also be vitamin D deficiency it's sounds like my symptoms before I started taking supplements. So don't worry too much until you get a diagnosis.
I agree Julie and would suggest a blood test.
I started to get aching and stiffness in my legs/lower back in November. It progressed over the months and getting up from a chair/climbing stairs /walking any distance/standing for any length of time became increasingly difficult.

I had a blood test and was surprised to find my vitamin D levels are very low although I eat a healthy diet and walk every day .

I have been on 'loaded dose' of Vitamin D3 for 4 weeks and am relieved to find there has been a considerable improvement.The Doctor says it can take up to 6 months to achieve a good level of Vit D.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Thanks for your replies

Ah! Statins!

After I was diagnosed with diabetes I was prescribed Atorvastatin, which I took for several years with no problems, then I started with aches, pains & stiffness; changed to Simvastatin with no improvement
My GP said that my cholesterol levels were OK, the statins were just precautionary, so we agreed that I would stop taking them
Everything was fine till a few months ago when my legs stared aching with exercise

I am aware that vit D deficiency can cause aches & pains, so for months, probably a year, I've been taking vit D tablets
I've also been taking aspirin daily for a couple of years
My last 2 health checks showed that blood sugars, cholesterol; and BP were all OK

I have a doc's appt next week; we'll just have to see what he says

A couple of day's ago I went on a short walk, just 5 miles on canal towpaths, lanes, and field paths. So there were no uphill stretches to speak of, and I went at my own pace, with a couple of rests.
I managed that quite well, though I could tell that any serious pain would have come on if I'd pushed myself harder

I'm fairly certain that I do have claudication, but I'm hoping that means I have relatively mild or early stages, and something can be done about it
I've Searched t'Net and YouTube, and the suggestions are that extra medication and frequent exercise will improve the situation; we shall see
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Well done Zulu, sounds like you are being very sensible and doing all the right things.
Good luck with the appt. next week.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 04:28 PM

Glad to hear you are still getting out Zuludog, hang on to your mobility for as long as you can. Keep us posted on the results of the visit to your doc.....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 10:19 PM

I was thinking Foxy owed me a fiver but then realised he had been very careful with his wording!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was thinking Foxy owed me a fiver but then realised he had been very careful with his wording!
Well....I am from Yorkshire Annie...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top