Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Re: Where do a lot of you,

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
You don't know the half of it Pauline darlin' - my Gran (all 4'9" of her) was a Trade Unionist at the age of 9 or 10 - took part in the 'match girls strike' in 1889 (Google it) and knew Annie Besant and Sylvia Pankhurst. She was also a Suffragette.

I learned a lot of my political militancy from my Gran.

I can tell you know what you are talking about,UJ,..but the scumbag nasty party,give it a rest,you sound like a politician ,with all this name calling!.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I can tell you know what you are talking about,UJ,..but the scumbag nasty party,give it a rest,you sound like a politician ,with all this name calling!.

Wasn't me who renamed the party, but Theresa May herself Pauline darlin'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...servatives2002
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:17 AM

You don't know the half of it Pauline darlin' - my Gran (all 4'9" of her) was a Trade Unionist at the age of 9 or 10 - took part in the 'match girls strike' in 1889 (Google it) and knew Annie Besant and Sylvia Pankhurst. She was also a Suffragette.

I bet your gran was an interesting lady, hats off to her UJ . I feel we women owe a lot to women like her , they have my respect
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Have always had an interest in Politics, was weaned on Politics and Trade Unions, since my parents and Grand parents were all deeply involved, so I keep abreast of current affairs daily.
The Grauniad!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I don't post anything that I don't know, rarely I will verify something online just to be sure.
I'd rather post my opinion about something than try to impress.

Probably why some think I post rubbish!
Recycling Tessa, not rubbish.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-04-2019, 10:30 AM

I actually learn quite a bit on here tbh. I hardly read the paper these days as they are full of pc nonsense and the news isn't much better. Google is useful because we all know we have to get everything 100% right when making a post or someone will be down on us like a ton of bricks (or is that a tonne of bricks now?).

Sometimes if I can't be sure, I don't post.

For other information such as queue etiquette, things that annoy us and squatting, this site is the best.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I bet your gran was an interesting lady, hats off to her UJ . I feel we women owe a lot to women like her , they have my respect

My Dad used to have a newspaper cutting with a photo of my gran, standing on the 'picket lines' outside Bryant & May laying about a Policeman with her rolled umbrella.

During 1st World war, she was conscripted into Woolwich Arsenal making shells. When my Grandad was moved from Bricklayers Arms to Brighton Engine sheds, they had an upstairs flat with an old cast iron kitchen range and hearth. On the hearth was a large brass casing from shell filled with sand, that was Gran's ash tray. The shell itself stood the other side of the hearth and as a kid, I remember playing with it. After she died and we had to clear the flat, we discovered that the shell was a 'live' 6" naval shell. Had it exploded, it would have taken out the three houses on either side of Gran's flat. Obviously, it was one that Gran herself had made, but how the hell she managed to smuggle it out of the factory is anyone's guess.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=Longdogs;1675211

For other information such as queue etiquette, things that annoy us and squatting, this site is the best.[/QUOTE]

I must have missed the squat thread,I squat a lot of the time,plus exercise ones,in the garden,cleaning the floor,oops off topic.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Do I conclude from this that you didn't explore other than trade union policies and politics? Just followed what your family did.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Get all of your information from,in the more serious threads,did you learn a lot about it at school/uni,do you read about the subject matter,or do you look it up on line?
All of the above. And other sources too.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top