Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 01:09 PM

When should you notify pet insurers?

Hi, just a general question about when to contact the pet insurers if you take your pet to the vet. Teddy was attacked a couple of weeks ago and went lame a few days ago. The vet felt the roughing up may have clicked his luxating patella on the non operated leg may have snapped out of place when he was jumped on. Subsequently he seemed ok and was walking normally until some friends took him on a longer walk just before Easter.

He's thankfully now recovering and his pen is back up in the living room to stop him jumping on armchairs and running around. He loves it in there because he gets spoiled. So it's just toileting on the leash in the garden for now and lots of rest and anti inflammatories from the vet.

But I was wondering whether I should let the insurers know what has happened?

When do others contact the insurance company? Only when you are making a claim or whenever your pet has an issue?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Re: When should you notify pet insurers?

Wouldn't your terms and conditions tell you?

That's the first place I'd look.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 01:25 PM

When jack and Rosie had teeth removed,I filled out the claim form,the receptionist did the rest and posted,..so for me after the treatment/operation.

I hope your dog will be ok,Annie,..

PS,I'm insured with pet plan .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 01:43 PM

It wouldn't hurt to let them know so that they are aware of his injuries. That way if things get worse (Hopefully not) at least they know what it's about.

I hope Teddy recovers soon.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Hi, just a general question about when to contact the pet insurers if you take your pet to the vet. Teddy was attacked a couple of weeks ago and went lame a few days ago. The vet felt the roughing up may have clicked his luxating patella on the non operated leg may have snapped out of place when he was jumped on. Subsequently he seemed ok and was walking normally until some friends took him on a longer walk just before Easter.

He's thankfully now recovering and his pen is back up in the living room to stop him jumping on armchairs and running around. He loves it in there because he gets spoiled. So it's just toileting on the leash in the garden for now and lots of rest and anti inflammatories from the vet.

But I was wondering whether I should let the insurers know what has happened?

When do others contact the insurance company? Only when you are making a claim or whenever your pet has an issue?
In our case, we signed it and our vet sent it in to Pet Plan.
I don't know if that helps.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 02:06 PM

I would let your insurer know about the incident. If you leave it until later they may say that the patella problem is a new one and nothing to do with the original injury. Let your vet know that you may have to claim, subject to what the vet has to do. Get your vet to support you with confirmation of dates/opinion etc., and then if you have to claim for treatment you should be in a strong position.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 02:56 PM

I would certainly contact your insurers. There are many cheaper pet insurers around who will make every effort to deny any claim for as long as they can get away with it. It's good to know sooner rather than later if yours are one of them. I think Pet Plan are one of the best. Many others are not.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 03:29 PM

When Coco was in a Vet. Hospital, the Receptionist did it all and we just paid the Excess money.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone. I don't think I will need to claim on this occasion and what I have paid is under £80, but I am just thinking that as it's on the record and as he has the luxating patella condition they may try to wriggle out of a claim if in future that leg becomes a problem.

I must say I haven't read the T&Cs as no idea where I have put the latest policy letter etc. But it's petplan so I am hoping those who had used them might know.

I think I will tell them anyway. I did mention that he has grade 1 luxation on that leg when he had the op on the other leg last year,

He is getting better thanks and he would love to run around the garden.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks everyone. I don't think I will need to claim on this occasion and what I have paid is under £80, but I am just thinking that as it's on the record and as he has the luxating patella condition they may try to wriggle out of a claim if in future that leg becomes a problem.

I must say I haven't read the T&Cs as no idea where I have put the latest policy letter etc. But it's petplan so I am hoping those who had used them might know.

I think I will tell them anyway. I did mention that he has grade 1 luxation on that leg when he had the op on the other leg last year,

He is getting better thanks and he would love to run around the garden.
Petplan have been very good in our experience. Max, our big hairy beast, has problems with his calcium levels. Let them know. Contact them. They can probably identify you and your hound with a few simple checks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top