Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 11:10 PM

Look what I found in the garage!

Almost entirely made from moss, holding two very tiny eggs, shells are pinky beige with brown speckles and probably from last year as they are open. RSPB have identified it as a Blue Tit's nest.

I apologise for the poor quality of the photo - had been heaving stuff around out there all day and my arms were a bit shaky.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 11:13 PM

Re: Look what I found in the garage!

Wonder if they'll come back this year Tabs?

How did they get in and out to build the nest, then feed the babies?
Is there an open window or something?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Wonder if they'll come back this year Tabs?

How did they get in and out to build the nest, then feed the babies?
Is there an open window or something?
There was quite a gap under the main door, Mups, not there since new doors arrived. But - the wooden side door is rotten in places and there are a few small holes - blue tits could easily find their way in. I have a bumble bee living in there as well - and a selection of rather large spiders. Obviously it is a 'des: res;' !!

RSPB said they thought if they were coming back they would have been in by now - advised leaving the nest but removing the broken eggs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
There was quite a gap under the main door, Mups, not there since new doors arrived. But - the wooden side door is rotten in places and there are a few small holes - blue tits could easily find their way in. I have a bumble bee living in there as well - and a selection of rather large spiders. Obviously it is a 'des: res;' !!

RSPB said they thought if they were coming back they would have been in by now - advised leaving the nest but removing the broken eggs.

Yes, I suppose so. It's well into the breeding season now, isn't it.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 07:42 AM

Lovely....and hopefully safe from the furry bosses in the house Hope they come back
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 03:47 PM

What a special and lovely find, ST! Who anticipated that in all of our labors to build our homes, that we would also help other families safely and warmly start theirs .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top