Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 04:20 PM

Re: Embarrassing, stupid things

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I haven't told her yet, Mags. Expecting her home any moment....
Tell her you fixed it yourself!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 04:21 PM

hahaha Floydy, i'm not laughing at you really lol
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Good replies, funny reading your experiences too.
Mrs. F. actually laughed her socks off at me. Also, the grandkids were with her so she told them to laugh and point and pull faces at me too. I was very ashamed of myself to say the least!

Lorna - Your story reminds me of something similar that happened to us a few years ago on Christmas Eve - a time when things always tend to go wrong in some way.

We have an extra freezer in our garage and we lost all our food, having just filled it with £200 of shopping when the electrics suddenly went off. Coupled with that, there was no lighting in the house either.

I checked and flicked up all the trip switches on the circuit board and making no difference we had to get the candles and torches out for a couple of days until the 27th December when an engineer could come out. Christmas dinner was a bit of a mish-mash affair with my stepdaughter cooking our meals and bringing them round to our house (my wife always wants to stay at home on Christmas Day).

The problem was that we had already asked a group of our friends around for some drinks and a bit of a party on Boxing Day night and we decided to go ahead with it, explaining when they arrived that we had no power and everything would be rather intimate.
One of my friends who came decided to check things out and asked where the main isolator switch was. It was in the garage and we went there and he said "That's your problem there, look" and pulled the handle to "ON" again.

All the lights went back on and I rang and cancelled the engineer call out.

I tend to be a jinx where electrics are concerned!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 04:44 PM

I have an insurance out with British Gas.

I could not understand why my washing wasn't spinning .

It kept coming out soaking wet.

I phoned British Gas,they arranged for an engineer to call.

He checked the filter,he then looked at the spin dial,it had been turned off.

I had accidently turned the dial to no spin.

I think he was more embarrassed than me.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Easily done, Pauline. Washing machines are notorious for problematic occurences.

A friend of mine called the AA because he had an oil leak coming from the back of his car and dripping from the underside of it. He couldn't understand it because the engine is in the front.
The mechanic opened the boot and found that a can of oil had tipped over...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 05:39 PM

I do things like that! It cost me £40 to find out the banging noise my car was making was the plastic bat I had put on top the aerial so I could spot it in the car park!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I do things like that! It cost me £40 to find out the banging noise my car was making was the plastic bat I had put on top the aerial so I could spot it in the car park!
Love it !
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 05:52 PM

Quite a few years' ago now I noticed a car parking in the road outside in various places. Odd as it was a 'commuter' area and everybody was usually at work. Inside was a person writing and taking photographs, without ever getting out of the car. Being the suspicious, alert person I am I thought it odd enough to phone the police, who said they would check it out. Sure enough not many minutes' later a police car arrived, parked in front of the 'suspicious' car and spoke to the driver. A few minutes' later a police officer knocked at my door to report her findings.

That person was only the local council's Valuation Officer, taking notes and photographs for assessing properties for the new-fangled Council Tax, for when it changed from the old rating system!

Well, it COULD have been someone up to no-good and 'casing' houses! Anyway, the police agreed with me when saying that.

Some satisfaction though, that was the only time I ever managed to 'have one over' on the council concerning Council Tax, which I maintain is very unfair to single occupiers!

Another one, similar to Floydy's, was that I had managed to accidentally catch the wall switch, located in a small cupboard, that activates the electricity supply for the Whirlpool bath. That hadn't been working for years and I only ever use the shower so no problem. A very good plumber found it after asking about anything not working correctly in the plumbing system when installing a new central heating system – boiler, radiators, pipework, the whole lot. He also found two taps that needed new washer assemblies (the whole top part of the taps) plus he also found a rusted and about to fail on/off inline tap on the water supply to the bath/shower. A leaking pipe to the downstairs toilet was also fixed. All that was repaired, including parts, at no additional cost to what he had already quoted for installing the new heating system. He is a plumber who's been servicing my previous boiler for ten years and well worth giving business to.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 07:18 PM

You knocked it off in the under stairs cupboard

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
You knocked it off in the under stairs cupboard

Well not quite, chance would be a fine thing but I think I get your meaning!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top