Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Runningwild
New Member!
South East
Runningwild is male 

03-05-2019, 07:34 PM

Disability Welfare Benefits for those over 65

I have been searching the net for some evidence of what M/s Rudd has said about pensioners will no longer be assessed for PIP.
I read comments and even a government spokesman saying that it is happening, but have not been able to confirm this with anybody that it is actually happening.

I'm 70 next month so presumably this should affect me, but who actually knows?
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 09:34 PM

Re: Disability Welfare Benefits for those over 65

You may well get it under a different name worth just inquiring.
Try Age Concern they may well have your answer.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Runningwild ->
I have been searching the net for some evidence of what M/s Rudd has said about pensioners will no longer be assessed for PIP.
I read comments and even a government spokesman saying that it is happening, but have not been able to confirm this with anybody that it is actually happening.

I'm 70 next month so presumably this should affect me, but who actually knows?

No matey, because you're over 60, you're no longer eligible for PIP, what you may now claim (if you meet the criterion) is Attendance Allowance.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 07:09 PM

I've just sent back my forms, they sent me notice that I had to apply for PIP as my DLA is ending, just as I reached 65!
If I qualify I think the face to face assesments stop over pension age 65 and 7months.
I believe those already on PIP or DLA keep it after State Pension Age but you can't put in a new claim.

It's so stressful I don't think anyone over 65 could cope with claiming anyway. The waiting is dreadful.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 07:32 PM

As mentioned previously , please go to Age UK, they will come to your home and do all the forms for you and send them off , if they have to reapply because you've been refused they will do it . There is no charge for this but maybe a small donation.

My friends who were struggling with the forms took my advice and the age UK rep did everything on a home visit , they have been awarded the maximum benefit as her husband is very unwell.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
As mentioned previously , please go to Age UK, they will come to your home and do all the forms for you and send them off , if they have to reapply because you've been refused they will do it . There is no charge for this but maybe a small donation.

My friends who were struggling with the forms took my advice and the age UK rep did everything on a home visit , they have been awarded the maximum benefit as her husband is very unwell.

Maybe so Susan darlin', but as I pointed out earlier, there is an age cut-off at 65. If you have not claimed and received DLA or PIP by your 65th birthday, you are debarred from receiving it, and must, in those circumstances apply for Attendance Allowance.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 09:27 AM

Thanks uncle joe , you are right of course , my friends did get attendance allowance .

Its confusing with all these named benefits .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

Good advice Susan! I did'nt know they did visits for advice!
Good service l think!

Regards Donkeyman!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've just sent back my forms, they sent me notice that I had to apply for PIP as my DLA is ending, just as I reached 65!
If I qualify I think the face to face assesments stop over pension age 65 and 7months.
I believe those already on PIP or DLA keep it after State Pension Age but you can't put in a new claim.

It's so stressful I don't think anyone over 65 could cope with claiming anyway. The waiting is dreadful.
Thats what they government are hoping for, that people give up and don't bother claiming and I bet lots of people don't have the energy to fight. I hope people will keep fighting if they are entitled to it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Maybe so Susan darlin', but as I pointed out earlier, there is an age cut-off at 65. If you have not claimed and received DLA or PIP by your 65th birthday, you are debarred from receiving it, and must, in those circumstances apply for Attendance Allowance.
Joe, I had to find out certain things during the witch hunt on the disabled as my brother was due for an interview at the time.

What I found puzzling is that if someone working, and then claim to be disabled, they could claim for many things such as car tax paid for by gov't, the choice of a top of the range new car every three or four years, paid for by a small reduction from their disability allowance, and many other benefits. Whereas if one tried claiming at the age of 65 plus, all one could apply for was "Attendance Allowance" either the lower rate or if lucky, the higher rate which I believe at the time was around £83.Over 65's are not allowed to claim for car tax or a car paid for by a reduction in Attendance Allowance. I'm sure AA must be a godsend to many pensioners trying to exist on a basic state pension, but why such a seriously underpayment compared to disabled working age. Why is this? Surely those that have reached 65 plus are as entitled to receive the same as those working-age?

You usually know Joe, is this correct? or am I talking through my hat?

I just find it so strange (and rather unfair) that there is such a discrepancy between the two, and do they explain why?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top