Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:44 PM

Re: How Cheeky Are You?

Guess what?

My hens won’t eat the Marigold petals! I put them in with their layers pellets and they’ve tossed the petals out onto the ground!

That’s it, l am going to take the Marigold plant back to the woman and ask for my eggs back!

The cheek of me!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:57 PM

Art, do your hens have access to fresh grass, or are they in a coop?

Grass, grated carrot and other green foods will soon colour the yolks.

I believe they used to put grass meal in chicken pellets to improve yolk colour, don't know if they still do.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Art, do your hens have access to fresh grass, or are they in a coop?

Grass, grated carrot and other green foods will soon colour the yolks.

I believe they used to put grass meal in chicken pellets to improve yolk colour, don't know if they still do.
Mups, There are huge foxholes in my garden, so l can only let the hens out whilst l supervise them. I am like a soldier on surveillance, my head turning everywhere. They have a very long run though.
Their yolks aren’t a bad colour but l thought giving them the fresh Marigold petals, it would enhance the colour even more. They can eat grass through the wire too. They won’t eat carrots!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, There are huge foxholes in my garden, so l can only let the hens out whilst l supervise them. I am like a soldier on surveillance, my head turning everywhere. They have a very long run though.
Their yolks aren’t a bad colour but l thought giving them the fresh Marigold petals, it would enhance the colour even more. They can eat grass through the wire too. They won’t eat carrots!

Oh well, never mind. It is only a visual thing anyway, makes no difference to taste or food value.

Do you move the run, or is it always in the same place?

You might like to have a flick through this if you're interested?

https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/egg-yolk-colour/
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

07-05-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh well, never mind. It is only a visual thing anyway, makes no difference to taste or food value.

Do you move the run, or is it always in the same place?

You might like to have a flick through this if you're interested?

https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/egg-yolk-colour/
Thank You for the info, Mups.
There are two large coops, high off the ground, joined together with a very long run. I couldn’t move all that so what l do, is rake off the top layer of soil and replace it with fresh soil.

I used to be able to go out and leave the hens out in the garden all day but once or twice a Fox has taken a hen (usually the best layer!)
I find it very upsetting and l feel so guilty, so l only let them out when l can watch them. I do this nearly every day.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-05-2019, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thank You for the info, Mups.
There are two large coops, high off the ground, joined together with a very long run. I couldn’t move all that so what l do, is rake off the top layer of soil and replace it with fresh soil.

I used to be able to go out and leave the hens out in the garden all day but once or twice a Fox has taken a hen (usually the best layer!)
I find it very upsetting and l feel so guilty, so l only let them out when l can watch them. I do this nearly every day.

Ah, yes I can see why you can't move them to fresh ground now. If they are on soil, that also explains why the yolks are not a deep orange.

All I can think of then is to hang a couple of cabbages upoff the floor on strings for them to peck at then.

I can understand how upset you were about the foxes taking your birds. They took one of my ducks and all her eggs that were about to hatch one day too, AND my white Peahen.

People spout on about it's our own fault for not securing the birds at night, but it doesn't seem to enter their heads that foxes come in the daytime too and if birds free range, they will get taken.

My lovely Peahen used to fly high up into the trees at night, she was safe up there, but the darn foxes were waiting under the tree when she came down one morning. Her hubby, Eric, went to pieces after that. Nervous wreck he was. So sad to see.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 08:18 AM

I used to take my gorgeous Aunty out for coffee and a look around our local garden centre regularly before she died but honestly she was a nightmare taking cuttings and the older she got the more brazen she was with it....it got so I was suggesting alternate places for an outing....anywhere where there were no plants for pilfering.

I miss her now though....so funny she really did think it was ok as long as you didn't take the whole plant....it's a wonder we were never locked up

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top