Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 07:34 PM

Re: Are we being manipulated (forced) into a cashless society?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Not here thank you very much, "I'm the only Luddite in the Village".
Fairy 'nuff..............
There was a more serious point though.
I rarely go in the branch of the bank where I am registered as a customer. In fact, maybe only once in 20 years. Actually, it is about 200 miles away. I don't suppose I am unique so I can understand why high street branches may be closing.

Life moves on. I remember watching a television documentary many years ago. The presenter was reporting on a visit to USA. The topic of using plastic to pay came up. A guy was asked how much cash he carried on him. After a search through his pockets he found just a single $1 bill.

Going cashless is not new by any means.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Fairy 'nuff..............
There was a more serious point though.
I rarely go in the branch of the bank where I am registered as a customer. In fact, maybe only once in 20 years. Actually, it is about 200 miles away. I don't suppose I am unique so I can understand why high street branches may be closing.

Life moves on. I remember watching a television documentary many years ago. The presenter was reporting on a visit to USA. The topic of using plastic to pay came up. A guy was asked how much cash he carried on him. After a search through his pockets he found just a single $1 bill.

Going cashless is not new by any means.

You miss the point, there are billions of folks who would be perfectly happy to be free of cash, conversely there are billions who would not be, it is those folks that are possibly being manipulated.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

Cards issued now are automatically ‘Contactless’:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ions-have.html
I will not have 'contactless' cards - they are not compulsory - yet!

What are your comments on this?
I use my debit card to draw cash from the bank or a safe ATM - and then use cash to pay for whatever I need.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You miss the point, there are billions of folks who would be perfectly happy to be free of cash, conversely there are billions who would not be, it is those folks that are possibly being manipulated.
I didn't miss that point, sir.
And I note your point about possibly being.....etc.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

06-05-2019, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I use my debit card to draw cash from the bank or a safe ATM - and then use cash to pay for whatever I need.
What's the difference - as you see it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 10:12 PM

I've often thought of drawing a couple of thousand out of the bank in cash and concealing it about the house.

There are a number of banks already had problems issuing payments due to problems with software or hackers. There are also other natural occurrences that could render computers and ATM's inoperable....

In such instances how long could you survive without access to your money?

Also bear in mind that whenever you make a card transaction you are leaving a paper trail on your whereabouts.

How come if the country belongs to its inhabitants things seem to happen under our noses that nobody wants - Driverless Vehicles, Cashless societies, houses built on greenbelt land, HS2 and the phasing out of Diesel cars while convoys of lorries fill our motorways....And our inability to leave the EU....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 10:21 PM

I didn't miss that point, sir.
And I note your point about possibly being.....etc.

Besoeker, its just stuff doing its stuff, its always been that way, heaven forbid stuff gets stuffy.

That may have been typed before.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 10:26 PM

Or we could all be Luddites.....

I can't remember the last time I used cash or visited a bank branch.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

06-05-2019, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I can't remember the last time I used cash or visited a bank branch.
You'll be of no use, back in the Caves then.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
My apologies to yourself and others for yet another thread on this, I didn't realise yourself and others had also been posting on this subject. Possibly as I hadn't been posting myself from what I can see of the dates on previous threads.

Thanks though for the shared suspicions.
No need to apologise BAZ, Glad you brought it up again!
Things like this need following up, because the dangers are
real and are more important than mere convenience!
The intention is to do away cash completely.
This will leave us vulnerable if we fall out with our
establishment! As well , as you say in the case of a
natural event!

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top