Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 11:10 AM

No GP appointment – an explanation perhaps?

GP pressure: Numbers show first sustained drop for 50 years

"An analysis by the Nuffield Trust think tank for the BBC shows the number of GPs per 100,000 people has fallen from nearly 65 in 2014 to 60 last year.

The last time numbers fell like this was in the late 1960s and it comes at a time when the population is ageing and demands on GPs are rising.

Patient groups said it was causing real difficulties in making appointments.

There have been reports of waits of up to seven weeks for a routine appointment, while those needing urgent appointments have been forced to queue outside practices in the early morning to guarantee to be seen."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48...eporting-story

Maybe this news item better explains why many experience problems when trying to get a GP appointment?

What would be your comment on this problem?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 11:52 AM

Re: No GP appointment – an explanation perhaps?

It's like that here, nearly two weeks before you get to see a GP, any GP in the group, if you want to see your own it's even longer.
I spoke to a Doctor about my problem on the phone, seeing as I'd had it for nearly a week & usually it only lasts a day or two, anyway they will phone you if you ask for them to & got told it would go on it's own as it was probably a virus & to drink a lot, take imodium & re-hydration sachets if needed, avoid coffee/tea & rest. That was it, luckily it was all it needed but if I'd had something worse I don't know what might have happened. Would probably have got an ambulance called.
I do avoid ringing the surgery & haven't actually been since I had my last blood test, which I was told I needed anyway, before that I was savaged by a feral cat & needed anti-tet. That was months before too.
I guess I'm lucky & am reasonably healthy for my age.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Too many houses being built in areas that can't cope
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:23 PM

I phoned this morning, cheekily asking if they had anything left this week and was told no. I could try ringing at 8am for an emergency, but when I then asked did they have anything when I get back from holiday (in case this neck pain is persisting) I was told they had nothing on the screen.

So, do I live with this? Keep on with the private physio at about £38 a time? Even if, at the moment, it's not helping?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Too many houses being built in areas that can't cope

I agree that doesn't help the problem, dongle.

I remember when the practice near me opposed plans to build more houses all around their surgery. They asked who would be looking after the healthcare of an extra 300 or more new patients,l because they couldn't!

The surgery couldn't even expand - even if they could find more GP's to work there - there was no room, because the planning dept let the builders build so close all around them.

I remember the surgery were also concerned about the night time security of their premises too.

At my present surgery, 2 doctors have given up and left.
They have been advertising for the first one for over a year, but no one wants the job. Now another one has left too.

This second one told me he was going to have a few weeks off, then get another job. He said everywhere was crying out for GP's so he was confidant it would be easy to find work when he was ready.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:51 PM

The NHS is unaffordable. It's time for radical change including at least making charges as is the case with dental services or changing the whole sorry mess for what would be my favourite, the Swiss NHS.

One very good first step would be to make private medicine including medical insurance tax deductible.

The world has changed. We must not expect our way of life to be unchanged.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I phoned this morning, cheekily asking if they had anything left this week and was told no. I could try ringing at 8am for an emergency, but when I then asked did they have anything when I get back from holiday (in case this neck pain is persisting) I was told they had nothing on the screen.

So, do I live with this? Keep on with the private physio at about £38 a time? Even if, at the moment, it's not helping?
Your local hospital should have a 'drop in centre' , our Medical Centre overspill all go there if needed, although it's only 10 mins walk away.
There again, you might probably need a referral.. Tell the GP receptionist you're in agony , they always have a few appointments hidden .
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The NHS is unaffordable. It's time for radical change including at least making charges as is the case with dental services or changing the whole sorry mess for what would be my favourite, the Swiss NHS.

One very good first step would be to make private medicine including medical insurance tax deductible.

The world has changed. We must not expect our way of life to be unchanged.
So how does the Swiss NHS work Artful?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 01:03 PM

No comparison. Switzerland has a population of 8 million. UK has an increased population of 5 million since 2004.. to 65 million
Wouldn't have anything to do with it. Funny how everyone wants to live in the UK ! Wonder why ?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
So how does the Swiss NHS work Artful?
Try this for details :-

https://www.swisshealth.ch/en/ueber-...heitswesen.php

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top