Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Re: You Have Four Minutes to Dial That Phone Number

Love it. lol
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 12:17 PM

That scares me! How would they manage to call an ambulance in an emergency, when there has been a long power cut?

New gadgets are fine, but we should all teach kids what to do when there is no electric to fuel the gadgets
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That scares me! How would they manage to call an ambulance in an emergency, when there has been a long power cut?

New gadgets are fine, but we should all teach kids what to do when there is no electric to fuel the gadgets
Who has a rotary dial phone these days? Can you even get one?
And most mobile phone batteries last longer than a power outage anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 12:38 PM

It took me ten minutes to order a Big Mac, fries and a coke in mcDonald's using their self service touch screen.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Who has a rotary dial phone these days? Can you even get one?
And most mobile phone batteries last longer than a power outage anyway.
It doesn't take the intelligent long, on how to make a rotary dial phone work, but aren't we all heading for no land lines at all?

I hardly ever use my mobile phone, in fact I just have one for when I am travelling....so it is switched off most of the time.... but the battery will still die! My landline would allow me to call emergency services if anyone had an accident during a power cut, but I have not been able to do that with my mobile. I can't even call the help lines to discover how long we are likely to be without power, and for some health conditions that can be important.

The easier we make life, with our new gadgets, the harder life will be when we are forced to be without them! We also need to remember that constantly charging mobile phones is hardly improving our carbon footprint!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 01:53 PM

Maybe young people's fingers only jab forward for texting but don't move in a circular motion. It could be an evolutionary thing.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It took me ten minutes to order a Big Mac, fries and a coke in mcDonald's using their self service touch screen.
You should've seen us trying to book in at Heathrow!!!
A nice lady with an iPad took pity on us and came over to help and we were "done" in a few seconds!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 02:02 PM

Hopefully these kids still know how to use a pen or pencil.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
It doesn't take the intelligent long, on how to make a rotary dial phone work, but aren't we all heading for no land lines at all?

I hardly ever use my mobile phone, in fact I just have one for when I am travelling....so it is switched off most of the time.... but the battery will still die! My landline would allow me to call emergency services if anyone had an accident during a power cut, but I have not been able to do that with my mobile. I can't even call the help lines to discover how long we are likely to be without power, and for some health conditions that can be important.

The easier we make life, with our new gadgets, the harder life will be when we are forced to be without them! We also need to remember that constantly charging mobile phones is hardly improving our carbon footprint!
A few points in no particular order.

Most gadgets/appliances these days are more efficient in terms of energy usage so greener in that sense. On the other hand, we have more of them.

The battery on a mobile phone, at least on I've had, will last for a number of days. If you experience a power outage, and we haven't one in years, it usually gets restored in hours rather than days.

Yes, the days of land lines may be numbered. My car, like many others, has a hands free phone system.

We have available greener ways of providing electrical energy. Wind, wave, solar, hydro,....

Just a few thoughts from a nearly retired electrical engineer.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

09-05-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
A few points in no particular order.

Most gadgets/appliances these days are more efficient in terms of energy usage so greener in that sense. On the other hand, we have more of them.

The battery on a mobile phone, at least on I've had, will last for a number of days. If you experience a power outage, and we haven't one in years, it usually gets restored in hours rather than days.

Yes, the days of land lines may be numbered. My car, like many others, has a hands free phone system.

We have available greener ways of providing electrical energy. Wind, wave, solar, hydro,....

Just a few thoughts from a nearly retired electrical engineer.
Well your opinions are based on your experiences. I have a power cut most years, sometimes 2 or 3.....and one lasted around 12 hours.... some local residents had to be taken to the local fire brigade, where they had generators.

I am aware of better ways of providing electrical energy, but we are a long way from providing them for everybody, so I think it is a shame when people use mobiles in offices where land lines are still available.

My mobile is a Samsung & less than 2 years old, but even though it is switched off 90% of the time, it loses it's charge within 3 days. Last month I only made 4 calls from it which lasted no more than 3 mins so, to me, that seems an expensive waste of electricity!

You may be fortunate enough to have a hands free phone in your car, but many are not, and they are the people who are most likely to have a fall in the dark , or get worried & need to contact somebody. Those are the people I care about!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top