Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Re: Flights...carbon offsetting.

What they should do is make plane design more eco friendly. It's also surprising that they have these smaller planes. What is the marginal difference in pollution of a large plane vs the small passenger carriers?

As far as I am concerned taking only hand luggage means that the air company can make more money flying freight in the hold. So they are already making money because passengers have changed their habits. If the air companies are moving goods around then they are saving flights of freight planes.

It's the air companies that should be asked to pay towards carbon emissions - or perhaps they already do?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What they should do is make plane design more eco friendly. It's also surprising that they have these smaller planes. What is the marginal difference in pollution of a large plane vs the small passenger carriers?

As far as I am concerned taking only hand luggage means that the air company can make more money flying freight in the hold. So they are already making money because passengers have changed their habits. If the air companies are moving goods around then they are saving flights of freight planes.

It's the air companies that should be asked to pay towards carbon emissions - or perhaps they already do?
They would then pass those costs onto us, so we'd pay just the same, but maybe that is what has to happen?

There was something on the TV fairly recently about the development of all-electric planes. I can't remember details, and we're years away from that being commercial anyway.
Presumably enhanced solar power might also be used for the part of the journey above the clouds, but we're years away from that, too.

I was very surprised to hear that the carbon footprint of one person's flight to the States was the same as heating a house in Britain for a year. That kind of rammed the point home.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Pyxell.

How does paying extra help? I don't understand.
Neither do I.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Neither do I.
It pays for various carbon-offsetting projects like planting trees, and installing solar panels - which reduce the carbon dioxide in the air by the same amount as you using the plane increases it.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
It pays for various carbon-offsetting projects like planting trees, and installing solar panels - which reduce the carbon dioxide in the air by the same amount as you using the plane increases it.
Yes, but one surely cancels the other out, back to square one.
Pyxell
South of England

10-05-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Yes, but one surely cancels the other out, back to square one.
True, but it's a start. Stops the problem getting worse.

They are already working on how to reverse polar warming, etc. (see news items today), so halting any further deterioration will only help.

Otherwise, if no-one does anything....

Yes, we'll have to change our habits. We'll get used to it!

Actually, this is one thing for which being older is a boon. So many of us were brought up without the 'comforts' of the last twenty/thirty years, and we survived, so we can survive again, even if it means putting extra jumpers on and filling hot water bottles!

So, if the age of cheap flights is going fast, (no pun intended!) we'll have to adapt to that, too. It won't kill us!
The first foreign holiday I ever had involved a two-day journey to Italy, in a train, sleeping in 'couchettes'. It was actually quite nice! You saw all the countryside of France and a bit of
Switzerland, and then Northern Italy, all the way to Rome.
(At the time, flying was prohibitively expensive, you see).
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 08:15 PM

Your last post Pyxel answers all the questions that both
you and others have been asking in this thread!

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Pyxell
South of England

13-05-2019, 06:01 PM

I am watching The Dambusters right now!

EDIT.
I have no idea how many times I have seen this film, but I can still be glued to the set by it.

It looks like they might be remaking the film this year.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top