Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 09:10 AM

Driving.

Does anybody on here not drive & why?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Re: Driving.

I tend not to drive much more , done that for so long for pleasure and work, it holds not fascination for me now. Yes I want to keep my licence,who doesn't?
when I had to surrender it some time back due to eye surgery, that 18 months of not driving I lost my confidence and still trying to get it back.

The annoying thing is I needn't have surrendered it, the lying surgeon said the DVLA would be notified and they wern't. The DVLA eye test I passed with flying colours
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 09:44 AM

I dont have much motivation to drive Carol,, my local streets
are choked with parked cars, and the car parks are expensive
and almost full! Heavy trucks are driving through the town
centre, which has narrow streets and tight turns!
However, the main reason for not driving is my eyesight
which is failing!
Best Regards Donkeyman!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Does anybody on here not drive & why?
Cataracts. Second op pending.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:58 AM

I still love driving but I am finding that the parking situation wherever I go is gradually putting me off.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I still love driving but I am finding that the parking situation wherever I go is gradually putting me off.
I am the same, although nowadays I have found the out of town retail parks with free parking. That plus online shopping is far better than queuing to get to the town centre and then paying through the nose for parking. Using the main dual carriageways I can be at whichever retail park I need for the type of shopping to do in minutes and the choice of shops is wide. Enjoying that fast drive is also very nice, far better than sitting in traffic jams first to get to the town centre and then into the multi-storey car park.

When I used to go with my daughter to the nearby town centre she's paying out anything up to £5 each time she shops so that's all coming out of the household budget, making her cost of living higher. I asked her why she does this, the answer was that there is no choice. Thirteen years' on I have found the answer and it seems others have too as, like most towns, it's showing signs of slowly dying. Maybe it's not good that we should find alternatives but when all those concerned with the finances and well-being of local shops and town centres stop ripping us off things will change. Until then I reckon the internet and out of town retail parks will only benefit.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 11:50 AM

I have been driving for 60 years and see no reason to stop until I have to for any reason beyond my control. I always hire a car when abroad on holiday as I am at present.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 12:08 PM

Having once driven all over the country I drive less and less. I would not dare do the 2.5 hour journey up mainly motorways to my family in Derbyshire these days, the standard of driving on motorways is appaling and it is not unusual to stuck on a motorway for hours if there is a RTA somewhere.

If I need to go any distance my son takes me. Likewise when we go on holiday.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 12:20 PM

I know what you mean, Meg. I don't think I would feel confidant driving on a motorway anymore either.

There are two huge roundabouts not far from me, and I dread those even.
Drivers are all trying to nip in front of you so fast, they damn near take your front bumper off. And aggressive! Boy are some drivers aggressive - mostly the men.

A bloke cut in front of me just yesterday, zipping out of a side turning, almost hit me he did.
It wasn't as if there were a line of cars behind me, I was the only one, so would it really have been so time consumign for him to let just one car pass before he pulled out? NO. A matter of about 10 seconds I should think.
He was so close, it's lucky I didn't swerve and hit a parked car because of that pig of a bloke!

I do still drive though, I don't know how I'd manage if I couldn't get about, but I mostly only stay local now.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 12:32 PM

I can’t imagine life without ever learning to drive.
Not being able to drive, seems so restrictive. l wouldn’t like it at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top