Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Re: Driving.

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I am the same, although nowadays I have found the out of town retail parks with free parking. That plus online shopping is far better than queuing to get to the town centre and then paying through the nose for parking. Using the main dual carriageways I can be at whichever retail park I need for the type of shopping to do in minutes and the choice of shops is wide. Enjoying that fast drive is also very nice, far better than sitting in traffic jams first to get to the town centre and then into the multi-storey car park.

When I used to go with my daughter to the nearby town centre she's paying out anything up to £5 each time she shops so that's all coming out of the household budget, making her cost of living higher. I asked her why she does this, the answer was that there is no choice. Thirteen years' on I have found the answer and it seems others have too as, like most towns, it's showing signs of slowly dying. Maybe it's not good that we should find alternatives but when all those concerned with the finances and well-being of local shops and town centres stop ripping us off things will change. Until then I reckon the internet and out of town retail parks will only benefit.
It's why the out of town centres do so well these days, even if we have to drive further and use more fuel, we still prefer it to paying for parking.

A lot of parking in London and surrounding areas is now done by smart phone, so if you don't have one, you're stuffed. Then you have the so called congestion charge and the diesel charge and you still need to find somewhere to park.

I worked and drove in London for almost fifteen years but they can stuff it up their wotsits now. Can't be bothered with the place.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 06:47 PM

No, I don't drive, had a few lessons as a teen, but was far to nervous as a driver, so I never took a test. I really didn't need to drive, as some of my friends did & do & my family all drive too. I have two friends who like me don't drive, one lived in London most of her life so it wasn't practical & the other did drive but a nasty car accident put her off ever getting behind a wheel again. It's OK for us tho as we all have free bus passes.

Like Longdogs I loath London.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Hi

I moved from Rural to Town last year.

My average speed has fallen to 25 mph from 43 and my fuel consumption is a disaster, 18 MPG less.

I simply do not venture out at rush hours.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 07:30 PM

Basically, I reckon I'd top myself if I couldn't drive. Love it plus it's independence and freedom, after navigating the road works and traffic jams.
Retirement brings it's rewards - at least one can avoid rush hour now...
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 07:41 PM

I still drive and enjoy it, but I have to anyway to go to work and back.
I have a couple of motorbikes, which are for pleasure only. It's nice to cruise (or blast) around the countryside of a summer evening or weekend.

I'm off to a bike club on Wed's evening. Nothing fancy, just a place where you can natter to other bikers and grab a coffee and burger if you like.
I find biking to be a big release.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top