Join for free
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 01:37 PM

renewing home insurance

Our home insurance is due for renewal at the end of this month, I got the renewal notice in last week, they want £30 more than last year , although we never made a claim, and £20 of that is for automatic renewal....so they want to charge us £20 so they can have an other years money from us...I phoned them this morning to tell them we wont be renewing with them, there's a dozen other companies on go compare who are cheaper, and we're covered for the same things. And whatever one I choose this year, I'll have to go through it all again because they'll probably put their price up too..
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 01:39 PM

Re: renewing home insurance

So join the club Paula - nothing new there.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Our home insurance is due for renewal at the end of this month, I got the renewal notice in last week, they want £30 more than last year , although we never made a claim, and £20 of that is for automatic renewal....so they want to charge us £20 so they can have an other years money from us...I phoned them this morning to tell them we wont be renewing with them, there's a dozen other companies on go compare who are cheaper, and we're covered for the same things. And whatever one I choose this year, I'll have to go through it all again because they'll probably put their price up too..
Paula, did you obtain quotes from other cheaper insurers and are you certain that they cover the same events and that the excesses are the same?

Most insurers should be able to provide you with the policy conditions before you sign the contract. If not, avoid with a barge pole.

The quote does not include all terms and conditions.
So, you will not be comparing an apple with an apple but rather a pear.

If you receive quotes, go back to your insurer and ask them if they would like to review in light of quotes obtained or you won’t be renewing with them.

I hope this helps.

Please note: this comment does not constitute financial advice. Contact your appointed financial advisor for more specific financial advice which considers your needs.

Take care
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 01:51 PM

Yes....I got the quotes from half a dozen companies, ..same cover and excesses....The girl I spoke to said she would see if they could do it cheaper, then said that was their best price...
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 01:53 PM

Yes....I got the quotes from half a dozen companies, ..same cover and excesses....The girl I spoke to said she would see if they could do it cheaper, then said that was their best price...
Ok good. The last differentiator is customer service and claims experience. Do a little research before settling on a new Insurer. It’s not always about the price with Insurance.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 02:57 PM

I always figure Home Insurance is a woman thing. They worry I never worry because if anything goes wrong I can get it fixed.
The only time I have had house insurance is when I have had mortgages. Those days has passed .
These days the only thing that is insured is my car because its law.
Don't insure my home god forbid I get a broken pipe and I cannot fix or if my roof starts to leak and I cannot get a mate round to fix it for an earner.
Don't get me wrong I have the brass but I have always said that insurance company's are the biggest thieves on the planet.

I don't have my dog insured but I put a £100 in her bank account every month just in case.
This past two years she as had 2 operations that came to a grand a time but she still has a few left in there.
My insurance estimate from Tescos years ago (cheapest at the time) was about £17 a month, and I thought bugger that.
This way I get her whatever she wants vet wise and when she goes we have a glorious p**** up at the end in her honour.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

05-01-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I always figure Home Insurance is a woman thing. They worry I never worry because if anything goes wrong I can get it fixed.
The only time I have had house insurance is when I have had mortgages. Those days has passed .
These days the only thing that is insured is my car because its law.
Don't insure my home god forbid I get a broken pipe and I cannot fix or if my roof starts to leak and I cannot get a mate round to fix it for an earner.
Don't get me wrong I have the brass but I have always said that insurance company's are the biggest thieves on the planet.

I don't have my dog insured but I put a £100 in her bank account every month just in case.
This past two years she as had 2 operations that came to a grand a time but she still has a few left in there.
My insurance estimate from Tescos years ago (cheapest at the time) was about £17 a month, and I thought bugger that.
This way I get her whatever she wants vet wise and when she goes we have a glorious p**** up at the end in her honour.
Insurance is compulsory if you have a mortgage.
If you are comfortable with the level of risk - why not!
I agree about Pet Insurance , it is a total waste of time!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 05:54 PM

I always make sure noone has the right to automatically charge money from my accounts like this. Just tell them to make sure automatic charging is turned off at their end.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:28 AM

I phoned them this morning to tell them we wont be renewing with them, there's a dozen other companies on go compare who are cheaper, and we're covered for the same things. And whatever one I choose this year, I'll have to go through it all again because they'll probably put their price up too..
Well done, it is too easy to pay the Lazy Tax

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top