Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Trickle Battery Chargers

I have used my car very little since C19 virus arrived and envisage using it even less during the winter.

My battery was new last November but has been deleted by lack of use and trying to start the car with a faulty gear motor which is being repaired today.

I am thinking of getting a Trickle Charger , I will get a good one like the CTEC 7 but after reading lots of information I am confused about whether or not I should be using the negative terminal on the battery or some mysterious 'ground location' to connect the car and charger .

I can't keep lifting the battery in and out of the car so intend to run a cable from the garage to the drive and only use the charger in fine conditions or maybe cover the bonet in a waterproof cover.

Do I have to use a 'ground location', the CTEC site shows the charger being connected to both terminals on the battery.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Re: Trickle Battery Chargers

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have used my car very little since C19 virus arrived and envisage using it even less during the winter.

My battery was new last November but has been deleted by lack of use and trying to start the car with a faulty gear motor which is being repaired today.

I am thinking of getting a Trickle Charger , I will get a good one like the CTEC 7 but after reading lots of information I am confused about whether or not I should be using the negative terminal on the battery or some mysterious 'ground location' to connect the car and charger .

I can't keep lifting the battery in and out of the car so intend to run a cable from the garage to the drive and only use the charger in fine conditions or maybe cover the bonet in a waterproof cover.

Do I have to use a 'ground location', the CTEC site shows the charger being connected to both terminals on the battery.

Just connect it to the battery terminals +ve and -ve

I bought one too just a cheap one and it came with a connector which is on the car permanently. I just mounted the charger on the wall near the bonnet and a power point. If the car is left for more than a couple of days I just plug it in and leave it.

If it only has clips just clip red to red (+ve) and black to black (-ve) on the battery terminals. Easy as...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200521 004 Battery Charger.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	13577   Click image for larger version

Name:	200521 006 Battery Charger.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	13578  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 11:37 AM

Thanks Bruce
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 12:22 PM

Our Suzuki only tackles local type runs and during the past 5 or so yrs has only covered about 5.5K miles from new, so its not kind to its battery. As soon as this became apparent, I bought an Einhell Smart charger and by adapting the output cable and connection ends, it became capable of plugging into any of the 12volt sockets inside the car. By doing that I am able to keep the car's battery fully charged for use at any time one of us need to use it, without the awkward business of opening the bonnet and connecting the charger up with extension lead etc.
I found the 12v plug/cig lighter adaptor on e-bay and the charger came from my local Toolstation.
As the site will not allow commercial links, I will PM the link to you if you wish, or, just search Toolstation's website for Einhell Smart Charger (£17.99)

From the info sheet:-
Notes on automatic charging
The charger is a microprocessor controlled automatic charger, i.e. it is suitable in particular for
charging maintenance-free batteries and for the
long-term charging and maintenance-charging of
batteries which are not in constant use, e.g. for
classic cars, recreational vehicles, lawn tractors
and the like. The integrated microprocessor enables charging in several steps. The final charging
step, maintenance charging, maintains the battery capacity at 95–100% and therefore keeps the
battery fully charged at all times. The charging
operation does not need to be monitored.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Besides keeping the charger in good shape, it is advisable to run the engine on a regular basis. I usually kept engine mine running for a short while about a couple of weeks. Apart from anything else, it does the charger kept kept.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-08-2020, 01:38 PM

Thanks for you input LD and Besoeker
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Our Suzuki only tackles local type runs and during the past 5 or so yrs has only covered about 5.5K miles from new, so its not kind to its battery. As soon as this became apparent, I bought an Einhell Smart charger and by adapting the output cable and connection ends, it became capable of plugging into any of the 12volt sockets inside the car. By doing that I am able to keep the car's battery fully charged for use at any time one of us need to use it, without the awkward business of opening the bonnet and connecting the charger up with extension lead etc.
I found the 12v plug/cig lighter adaptor on e-bay and the charger came from my local Toolstation.
As the site will not allow commercial links, I will PM the link to you if you wish, or, just search Toolstation's website for Einhell Smart Charger (£17.99)
How does that work if the engine is switched off and the car doors are locked?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 04:43 PM

Better check what type of battery you have first as the modern one's used in stop-start car engines can't be charged with a standard charger.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
How does that work if the engine is switched off and the car doors are locked?
The 2 core feed cable passes through the thick door rubber seals and the door still closes .. just as the roof rack fixing clamps/grabs do. Our car does not need the ignition to be switched on to use the 12v sockets. The internal lighting works without the ignition too, so I presume those items are not ignition switch dependant.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)

21-08-2020, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Better check what type of battery you have first as the modern one's used in stop-start car engines can't be charged with a standard charger.
I agree and that is why I quoted the more modern 'smart' type of charger that sorts itself out via its own processor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top