Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Hybrid cars

Would i buy one or one only battery powered? no way

Sue looked up for me the price of a new battery in a top of range expensive car . The quote for a replacement battery was

Wait for it

Are you sitting down

You won't want one

how much do you think without looking?

she saw it would cost £6,000 for a replacement battery for this type of car

so you still want one???
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 09:22 PM

Re: Hybrid cars

Yes they are expensive to replace, but most manufacturers warrant their batteries for eight to ten years, the only problem is that when they reach this age, they will be worthless as no one will fork out six grand on a car that’s worth maybe half that..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 09:26 PM

Absolutely no way that I would buy an electric car, either hybrid or otherwise. Always a diesel for me.....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 09:50 PM

I have a mild hybrid car..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 11:18 PM

A friend of mine has an electric car, and she loves it.

She is a business lady and uses her car a lot for travelling about, and reckons she saves a fortune on diesel now.
She told me last week it only costs her about £6 per week now for a full week's 'fuel.'

They are so pleased, her husband wants to change his car to electric now too.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't have an electric car or Hybrid unless I could afford something like a BMW i model or Teslar.

Dirty Diesel for me.

I once owned an LPG/petrol car and that was quite good as LPG was/is half the price of petrol so I was getting double the distance which made the average 24mpg quite reasonable.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by reg ->
I wouldn't have an electric car or Hybrid unless I could afford something like a BMW i model or Teslar.

Dirty Diesel for me.

I once owned an LPG/petrol car and that was quite good as LPG was/is half the price of petrol so I was getting double the distance which made the average 24mpg quite reasonable.
Tesla are supposed to be the least reliable car on the road according to a recent survey so that might not be a good decision.

It is strange how LNG cars seem to have had their day, the pumps are disappearing from service stations and it seems to be only taxis that still use it as a fuel.

Electric cars are not taking off here, I think only about 1000 are sold each year compared to over a million conventional cars. They are OK as a commuter car in the city but the lack of top up sites in the bush means they cannot become mainstream
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

It is strange how LNG cars seem to have had their day, the pumps are disappearing from service stations and it seems to be only taxis that still use it as a fuel.

In my opinion this is because LNG as a vehicle fuel has never been advertised like petrol has. Call me a cynic but I suspect the oil companies have been lobbying the Governments against this as a viable, cheap fuel for the average motorist. My BiL had his Lexus converted to burn LNG and has saved a fortune since but we don't do the mileage to recover the cost of conversion* (~£1200-1500 depending on car and engine). I also suspect that if they really wanted to, vehicle manufacturers would supply LNG burners as an option at least. I was told by a car mechanic that burning LNG rather than petrol knackers an engine in about 100k miles or so, so that has to be factored in too.

* It takes about 20k - 25k miles using LNG to recover the cost of conversion before you start saving money on fuel.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
In my opinion this is because LNG as a vehicle fuel has never been advertised like petrol has. Call me a cynic but I suspect the oil companies have been lobbying the Governments against this as a viable, cheap fuel for the average motorist. My BiL had his Lexus converted to burn LNG and has saved a fortune since but we don't do the mileage to recover the cost of conversion* (~£1200-1500 depending on car and engine). I also suspect that if they really wanted to, vehicle manufacturers would supply LNG burners as an option at least. I was told by a car mechanic that burning LNG rather than petrol knackers an engine in about 100k miles or so, so that has to be factored in too.

* It takes about 20k - 25k miles using LNG to recover the cost of conversion before you start saving money on fuel.
Quoted from a well known motoring mag.

LPG is a cleaner burning fuel than either diesel or petrol, so engine life is actually extended and LPG does not damage engines. If anything, LPG may prolong engine life. Using a fuel that burns cleaner should allow the engine components to last longer.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Absolutely no way that I would buy an electric car, either hybrid or otherwise. Always a diesel for me.....
Me too Foxy. The torque is incredible on a diesel. I suppose at some stage I will be forced into buying a hairdryer on wheels but until then....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top