Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 05:57 PM

Sound bar

I need a sound bar in order to understand the speech on TV programmes/DVD's.

Some are ok but others I have to abandon if there are no subtitles.

Does anybody use a sound bar? Are they any good?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 06:55 PM

Re: Sound bar

I've just had one for Christmas as I can't hear some of the sound on my TV. Not been installed yet but I'll let you know probably next week.

PS - remind me late next week if you still want an opinion, otherwise I might forget to let you know.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 09:30 PM

I use my google smart speaker for the sound.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I need a sound bar in order to understand the speech on TV programmes/DVD's.

Some are ok but others I have to abandon if there are no subtitles.

Does anybody use a sound bar? Are they any good?
Yes. It's a well-known fact that modern flat-screen TVs usually provide crap sound because they are not deep enough to contain decent speakers.

So yes, a sound bar should improve things immeasurably, especially if you get a good one. The best thing to do is to look at several reviews on t'internet.

I don't know if you want it, but it's worth getting one with a sub-woofer if you like good bass.

We originally used a pair of side/rear speakers with it, but to be honest I didn't think the messing about running cables under the carpet was worth the effort.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 01:03 AM

I have a Sony sound bar which fits in front of my TV and blends in nicely. It has a separate sub-woofer for better base response.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 05:55 AM

I too am as deaf as a post and don't wear my hearing aids so I have the TV turned up loud. At home I have the TV connected to a home theatre system so a soundbar is not necessary but I do have a soundbar in my camper and it definitely helps. The sound is much clearer than from the crappy little TV Speakers and can be made much louder.

If you have trouble hearing your TV a soundbar will improve the quality and the volume.

If your TV has Bluetooth and you live alone then a pair of Bluetooth headphones is an excellent alternative and won't disturb anybody. You can also wear them out walking while listening to music or the radio from your phone
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 10:27 AM

That's something that I've been contemplating for a while Carol.....
If you stick your head round the back of the TV you can hear it perfectly, all the sound seems to be coming from the back.

I tried using a hearing aid, but because only certain frequencies need amplification, and the the hearing aid amplifies all frequencies, it gets that noisy that it obscures the ones I can't hear....
Perhaps a 'Graphic Equaliser' is what I need.

I've even stopped watching films because I can't hear what they are saying most of the time, and if I turn up the sound, when the adverts come on or incidental music, it just gets unbearable.

You first then Carol, and let me know how you get on.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's something that I've been contemplating for a while Carol.....
If you stick your head round the back of the TV you can hear it perfectly, all the sound seems to be coming from the back.

I tried using a hearing aid, but because only certain frequencies need amplification, and the the hearing aid amplifies all frequencies, it gets that noisy that it obscures the ones I can't hear....
Perhaps a 'Graphic Equaliser' is what I need.

I've even stopped watching films because I can't hear what they are saying most of the time, and if I turn up the sound, when the adverts come on or incidental music, it just gets unbearable.

You first then Carol, and let me know how you get on.....
I think that these days they do a test on you to determine where the hearing loss is and adjust the hearing aid output accordingly. I believe even the NHS ones do that.

I'd go back and ask them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 11:59 AM

Sometimes, there's no need to buy a soundbar for a TV - a simple review and adjustment of built-in audio settings may make a huge difference to the listening experience:

Example:

How do I adjust the sound settings on my Samsung TV?

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/ho...amsung-tv.html

All modern TVs will have similar options.

Worth trying on a lazy afternoon .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Sometimes, there's no need to buy a soundbar for a TV - a simple review and adjustment of built-in audio settings may make a huge difference to the listening experience:

Example:

How do I adjust the sound settings on my Samsung TV?

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/ho...amsung-tv.html

All modern TVs will have similar options.

Worth trying on a lazy afternoon .....
Blimey Omah!....
How did you know that I had a 'Samsung' TV?.....

Tried that Omah, no help for me I'm afraid....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top