Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 06:38 PM

Re: PC misbehaving!

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Blue Screen of Death is dire because in a huge majority of cases, it is a fault that cannot be pinned down so rather than the techs waste more time trying to find the cause which increases the cost of repair, the techs will usually recommend that a new computer is purchased and that personal files on your hard drive will be transferred over to the new machine, things such as documents, pictures, videos, music.

The worst part of a BSOD (Blue screen of death) is when the fault happens randomly, it just happens when it want's to happen.

Being in the computer tech industry, over the years I have repaired many BSOD's, some have been very easy, some have been extremely hard BUT the one common factor in all of them is the initial tests in trying to pin point the fault.

Silver Tabby, one of the things a tech repair person will ask you to do initially before they get the machine is to see if you can replicate the fault. The tech will be wanting to see if the BSOD occurs every time a specific function is carried out. For examples sake, if you opened your internet browser and clicked to open a new tab, boom BSOD occurs. You try it again and boom, the BSOD occurs again. That is the kind of thing the tech person will be looking for. So carry on using your computer BUT this time pay specific close attention to what your doing and what your clicking on and take a note each time you get the BSOD. Then, look at your notes and see if there is anything obvious reoccurring. This information will help the tech people when you give them your machine to fix.
Thank you, Dodge, will do that.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 07:16 PM

1) When you looked inside the Tower, were any fans, in there, running OK?

2) Also, you might look up (online) for theW10 "memtest" program. It might be a memory failure.
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 09:30 PM

That white writing will contain an error code at the very least. Take a picture with your phone then find the code and Google it. It may well not help but at least you will have tried.

Next step for me would be to pull off any important personal files and try reinstalling Windows. If it still fails after that then you at least know it's some sort of hardware issue.

Hardware wise unless you have some spare parts you could swap out you'll probably be limited to reseating the memory chips.

Ultimately all PC problems can be fixed with a small rectangle of plastic. It usually mentions Visa or Mastercard on it somewhere.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 10:43 PM

Sorry to hear that Tabby, but there is some good advice here.
I would back everything up because it might just be that windows needs reinstalling, or it could originate in the 'bios' the script that your computer loads up when you startup. It may have become corrupted.

BIOS (basic input/output system) is the program a computer's microprocessor uses to start the computer system after it is powered on. It also manages data flow between the computer's operating system (OS) and attached devices, such as the hard disk, video adapter, keyboard, mouse and printer.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
1) When you looked inside the Tower, were any fans, in there, running OK?

2) Also, you might look up (online) for theW10 "memtest" program. It might be a memory failure.

Yes, Ted, the fan is fine. Never heard of memtest - will give it a try. Thank you.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

30-12-2020, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear that Tabby, but there is some good advice here.
I would back everything up because it might just be that windows needs reinstalling, or it could originate in the 'bios' the script that your computer loads up when you startup. It may have become corrupted.

BIOS (basic input/output system) is the program a computer's microprocessor uses to start the computer system after it is powered on. It also manages data flow between the computer's operating system (OS) and attached devices, such as the hard disk, video adapter, keyboard, mouse and printer.

No can do, Foxy, the CD/DVD drive is not working and I do not know how to download onto Memory sticks/USB drives.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No can do, Foxy, the CD/DVD drive is not working and I do not know how to download onto Memory sticks/USB drives.
If you've got a memory stick Tabby just drag and drop any files you want to save......

Alternatively, when you start your computer press F2 before it loads and a menu will appear. Select the main menu and you can instruct your computer to perform some tests....Have your phone or camera handy and photograph the results as you go. Some of the tech guys on here might be able to diagnose the problem. Good Luck Tabby....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

31-12-2020, 10:48 PM

Update: Having read all the advice - and working on the principle if the beast was dying anyway I couldn't make it much worse - here is what I have done so far.

1. Put important stuff - photos, my novel, documents etc., onto a heap of USB memory sticks - made 2 x copies of everything.
2. Disc clean
3. Defrag
4. Ran a 'health' check - all clear
5. Ran another malware check - all clear
6. Ran another virus check - all clear - but ...

Part of the security shield - bottom right in task bar turned from green to red.
Clicked on it to see what was going on.
Message = unused/deleted App was trying to install itself ??
Told it to zap it.
2 x more Apps tried to install - zapped them as well.

Since then - no more weird messages or the 'blue screen of death'. The beast seems tamed again - so am continuing to use it - but as soon as my local techy shop is open again will take it in and have it thoroughly checked. Might even buy a new one from them.

Would just like to say how much I appreciate your help and advice - I think you are all lovely - thank you!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 11:33 PM

Glad you got it sorted Tabbs.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-01-2021, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Glad you got it sorted Tabbs.
Well ... I am typing this with all all fingers and toes firmly crossed, Judd - and that's not easy!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top