Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 04:27 PM

Blue eggs.

These came as a substitute in an online grocery order. I've never heard of them before.

Blue box.

Blue eggs within.

Next to some not blue eggs as a contrast.

We shalln't bother with them again. The shells were very thin and broke easily. The eggs were smaller that the ones we normally buy. They were more expensive than the ones we normally buy.

Just in case you were wondering, the whites were white and the yolks were yellow. Not a hint of blue anywhere.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 04:40 PM

Re: Blue eggs.

Different breeds lay different colour eggs Fruitcake.
I have never detected any difference in taste though.

I used to keep/hatch pure breed poultry for many years, and some of the lovely brown egg layers were Marans, Wellsummers and Barnevelders.

Aracana's lay a pale blue-ish egg like the Cream Legbars.

I believe there is a pale greenish egg layer too, but I can't remember the breed now.

I remember years ago, when eggs used to be just white.

Some ducks lay blue eggs too.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 04:53 PM

Thanks Mups, I guessed it was something like that.

My Granny used to keep chooks, mostly Rhode Island Reds, but a few other breeds I'm not familiar with as well.
I remember feeding them grit, to help with digestion or perhaps to make sure they had good robust shells. I was only little so didn't really understand. All I knew was the shells didn't break in normal transit, the yolks never broke when you cracked them, and they tasted much better than most of the eggs you can buy these days.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 08:38 PM

I don't like assorted sized eggs & duck eggs are bluish also, but not as nice as hens eggs.
I like & buy Tesco free range extra large, they often have double yolkers in the box also.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2020, 09:11 PM

They are Blue because it was freezing outside when they were laid
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 01:21 AM

Fruitcake, I always buy Clarence Court eggs when my own hens aren’t laying.
I love the blue shelled eggs but love their Burford Brown eggs too.
The yolks in both variety of eggs are usually, a rich orange colour.

Because l loved Clarence Court blue eggs, l bought 2 Araucana hens for their blue shelled eggs. I also bought 2 Cotswold Legbars for their pastel coloured eggs. One hen laid blue shelled eggs and the other laid pinky beige shelled eggs.

Presently, l just have three hens that all lay brown eggs, a Welsummer and 2 Hi- Line hens.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

31-12-2020, 05:44 PM

We've been getting Burford Browns recently and you are right about the vivid colour of the yolks.

As far as I am concerned, an egg should have a decent shell that won't break during normal handling, a yolk that won't break when you crack the egg, and tastes good.
I have to say, these blue eggs failed this test and we won't be getting them again.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top