Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 11:05 PM

Calculators

Has anyone here got one of those electric desk top calculators, the sort you can put a little mini roll on paper on the back to print your sums?

Well they have a very thin flexible wire to the plug, and my wire has just snapped in half - might have had a little help from a 4 legged friend, but not sure.

Can this wire be mended, or replaced do you know?
Surely I haven't got to buy a new calculator just because of the lead?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 11:12 PM

Re: Calculators

Should be an easy fix involving a bit of wire cutting, stripping and soldering and some heat shrink tubing to finish it off. If you're not confident doing it yourself try a local computer repair shop, they should have everything required.

Or a TV repair shop, if they still exist.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Should be an easy fix involving a bit of wire cutting, stripping and soldering and some heat shrink tubing to finish it off. If you're not confident doing it yourself try a local computer repair shop, they should have everything required.

Or a TV repair shop, if they still exist.

Thanks Ray.
It's definitely not something I would know how to do, I'd be frightened to plug it back in against!
But I could take it to the electrical repair shop near me - if they are open - see if they would mend it.
I just wasn't sure if those thin wires could be mended.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 11:40 PM

The majority of computer shops do not have soldering equipment that would be required to repair such a fault. Look for any places local that repair TV's or radios or hifi's. They will have the equipment.

By your description it sounds like it's the DC power cable that has broken, it would have a black plug with a silver end on one end and the mains socket plug on the other end.

If it's a 'must be done urgently as i cannot wait fix', as long as it's ONLY the cable that has broken off in half then you could use one of these, known as a terminal block, to do a temporary fix.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap.../dp/B0053WRTQ8

You can buy them from Wilko, Screwfix, B&Q. The DC voltage will be low, something like 6v to 12v, therefore as a temporary measure it would be ok to use. You just take some of the black rubber sleeve off the wires so the bare wires are showing and then screw the wires into the terminal block making sure each wire matches the other. One of the wires should have a white stripe running down it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-01-2021, 11:48 PM

Thank you Dodge, I will have another look at it tomorrow.
Failing that, you saying about telly repair places has given me an idea.
There is a local telly repair man, no shop, just works for himself. He set up my new telly for me when I bought it a outlet of years ago.
He might be able to fix it ey?

Thank you for the idea, but failing that I will ask the electrical repairs shop.
Surely one of them old mend it.
Will let you know.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thank you Dodge, I will have another look at it tomorrow.
Failing that, you saying about telly repair places has given me an idea.
There is a local telly repair man, no shop, just works for himself. He set up my new telly for me when I bought it a outlet of years ago.
He might be able to fix it ey?

Thank you for the idea, but failing that I will ask the electrical repairs shop.
Surely one of them old mend it.
Will let you know.
As long as they have a soldering iron, electrical tape and a multimeter, they will be able to fix your cable.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-01-2021, 09:53 PM

Took the lead into the electrical repair shop this afternoon and left it for the lady to show her husband later. She said she will ring me and let me know if will mend it or not, but she thought I might have to just get a new wire.
Will have to wait what he says.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2021, 12:25 AM

Just to let you good people know the ending - the electrical shop phoned me today to say they'd mended it.
They charged me a fiver, so I was well pleased.

Thanks for your advice though, folks.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Just to let you good people know the ending - the electrical shop phoned me today to say they'd mended it.
They charged me a fiver, so I was well pleased.

Thanks for your advice though, folks.
A good result Mups.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 09:01 AM

Brilliant, Mups.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top