Join for free
Page 45 of 48 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:08 AM

Re: Trump supporters stormed Capital Hill

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Thank you, mom, but I have followed politics and procedures for 50 years. My question was more about the specific people working on these committees, and their moral obligations to the country. Integrity has also gone by the wayside. We can hope those holding offices and chairing committees in the next generation will find the values we seem to have lost.
Oversight Committee Members with a majority of Democrats.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
We did take our lumps for four years. Now the other half takes their turn. That is a true democracy. We will get back to decency, honorable decisions in a grown up way. To interact again with climate control, NATO, and world issues with international leaders will hopefully seem normal once again.
Thank you for recognizing this, Psmith.

I appreciate your views, but a democracy is not about "taking turns." In a constitutional republic, democracy comes in the form of ruling by majority (or representationally so) with the protection and representation of the minority.

The Democratic-Republicans held executive power for 28 years starting with Jefferson and later, the Democrats held the executive branch for 20.

That said, the voting public tends to get edgy when all three of the branches of government the executive and legislative branches, along with the Supreme Court (though they are supposed to be apolitical) are held by the same party. Voting tends to favor a flip in power of at least one branch when this happens for more than four years.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:53 AM

I am stating my own opinion, and will not debate further. I respect all the facts and input on this thread. It's food for thought, isnt it?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

18-01-2021, 03:11 AM

[QUOTE=Right Now;2020980]I am stating my own opinion, and will not debate further. I respect all the facts and input on this thread. It's food for thought, isnt it?[/QUOTE

Yes, I agree! This is an excellent format for discussion and enlightening too.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 04:02 AM

Interesting article here :

"Members of US President Donald Trump's failed presidential campaign played key roles in orchestrating the Washington rally that spawned a deadly assault on the US Capitol, according to an Associated Press review of records.

The news agency said it had revealed undercutting claims that the event was the brainchild of the President's grassroots supporters"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...riots/13066142
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 08:17 AM

Hi

Bread, surfermom has a brain the size of a Planet.

She is a Republican, not something I normally like, but I respect her views.

She is as critical of Biden as she is of Trump.

We simply cannot have thuggery taking over.

I am no longer working and am ill.

My ex Staff are are and if push came to shove you would lose.

It is literally as simple as that.

We will not allow, under any circumstances a Coup.

We have a Ballot Box.

The Americans are the same.

It is a fantasy driven by idiots.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 11:28 AM

If surfermums “ BRAIN” was the size of a planet....I’d be worried 😂🤣😅

Her knowledge the size of a planet...then I’d agree.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Bread, surfermom has a brain the size of a Planet.

She is a Republican, not something I normally like, but I respect her views.

She is as critical of Biden as she is of Trump.

We simply cannot have thuggery taking over.

I am no longer working and am ill.

My ex Staff are are and if push came to shove you would lose.

It is literally as simple as that.

We will not allow, under any circumstances a Coup.

We have a Ballot Box.

The Americans are the same.

It is a fantasy driven by idiots.

I've stated my point on Trump and Biden - my opinion is my own not yours or anyone elses. I've simply asked for what Trump actually said about calling for riots/violence, decent and insurrection, so far nobody can tell me but in the USA he is being impeached for it. How can you be impeached for something someone didn't do or didn't say ?

For your information I have many, many colleagues and friends in the USA - in Texas, Boston and just outside New York - some ask the same questions as me, others don't. It's not the point - my point is about fairness, it's not about inventing what someone says and then out-crazying yourself that its the truth. Whether you like Trump or not, being impeached for something you didn't say is simply wrong and the Democrats, in particular Nut-Case Nancy need to be questioned over it and present the evidence - which was incidentally missing at the first hearing and any defence from the Republicans.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

18-01-2021, 11:25 PM

Bread, the information for the Democrats initial support for the House of Representatives' Articles of Impeachment is found (for starters) within the links that I provided. They simply have to be read, interpreted by you, and then assessed by you as to whether or not you agree with those decisions. It is your responsibility to read the material if you really want to find the answer to your very good question in a way that will satisfy you one way or the other.

SF, you are most kind, however the list of people on OFF who are more intelligent than me is as long as my arm. Your make the point that I have been drumming all week; we are not going to tolerate anyone who interferes with the workings of our democracy - no matter who is involved. In fact, I think my party should be the most rigorous in demanding the swift and full arm of the justice system for what happened on Jan. 6. You are right; they are thugs and they need to be prosecuted in the same way we need full accountability from the radical left that burned down the 3rd precinct in Minneapolis (for example).

There are insidious rumblings that we are falling apart, close to civil war, and seething with anger for one another - but nothing could be further than the truth. We all want the same, we just we sometimes disagree about the paths taken to get there. There are people who feel disenfranchised with issues worthy of concern, but they need to understand that their demands are yielded and lost in the fray.

Pauline, you made me laugh .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

18-01-2021, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Interesting article here :

"Members of US President Donald Trump's failed presidential campaign played key roles in orchestrating the Washington rally that spawned a deadly assault on the US Capitol, according to an Associated Press review of records.

The news agency said it had revealed undercutting claims that the event was the brainchild of the President's grassroots supporters"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...riots/13066142
A good share, Psmith. Americans do love to exercise their free speech. There were dozens of protests preceding the inauguration of Trump with many arrests, as well as the Women's March on Washington, the day after his inauguration. Most, like the one that proceeded the Jan 6 rioting, start out with permits. 80 or more Congressmen boycotted the Trump inauguration. Is that sound in ensuring the Peaceful Transition of power?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...harges-dropped

https://time.com/4635411/democrats-b...-inauguration/

We are still trying to get to the bottom of what happened. Planning? A peaceful crowd run amok? Instigation?

And what about security? How did that play in the tresspassing?

We have so much yet to figure out.

Page 45 of 48 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top