Join for free
Page 9 of 13 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 11:46 AM

Re: Do extra terrestrials exist.

Hi

There are things we cannot explain.

I am as cynical as they come and also well aware of our technical abilities and also well aware of the fact there are many things I have no knowledge of.

There is one thing I still cannot understand.

That is the Rendlesham Forest Incident.

I was Liaison Officer with the Americans at the time.

It shocked them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Because the Earth, the sun and the rest of our solar system, including everything you can see in the night sky is constantly moving, we do not occupy the same piece of space that we did last week, or last year....Therefore: when you look back in light years it's possible to see where the earth was in the past from where you are now....Because it was in a different place in space....Simples!
I'm beginning to understand your theory now, OGF.

If I'm correct, you're suggesting that one of those stars we see in the sky is our sun millions of years before it (and we) moved through space to the position we are in now.

Is that it?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

If I'm correct, you're suggesting that one of those stars we see in the sky is our sun millions of years before it (and we) moved through space to the position we are in now.

Is that it?
Hi

What we see in the syars is what happened in the past, not what is happening now.

The distances involded are so great that even the speed of light means we are seeing things that happened billions of years ago.

We have no idea at all at what is happening in the here and now.

Look back 30 years and see the difference in the World,

Alter that to 300 years and imagine what is happening now in the Universe.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:25 PM

Fascinated by all this, we could be looking at stars billions of light years away that have been destroyed but the light from them still to reach Earth.

Humans would be limited to the distance they could travel into deep space.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Is that it?
Yes, I do believe that's possible JB....

So what we are assuming is life in other solar systems could be our own, but perhaps millions of years ago before humans populated the earth.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

What we see in the syars is what happened in the past, not what is happening now.

The distances involded are so great that even the speed of light means we are seeing things that happened billions of years ago.

We have no idea at all at what is happening in the here and now.

Look back 30 years and see the difference in the World,

Alter that to 300 years and imagine what is happening now in the Universe.
That's true Swim, we have only occupied this planet for only a very small fraction of the time that the solar system has existed. And it looks like we won't be occupying it for too much longer. Three things spring to mind that will bring about our demise.
(1) Our own destruction. Wars, Viruses, Genocide, etc.

(2) The Earth is never still and is constantly changing and one day might just throw us off by some major catastrophe. Some might survive, but be set back hundreds, if not thousands of years. We will have to start all over again. Perhaps this has happened before and we are just getting to the point of collapse....

(3) An object from space......But not Martians or ow't like that....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-01-2021, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Fascinated by all this, we could be looking at stars billions of light years away that have been destroyed but the light from them still to reach Earth.

Humans would be limited to the distance they could travel into deep space.
Same here Cinders....

Using the components available to us on planet earth, I'm sure we don't have the ingredients necessary to build anything that would travel as fast as the speed of light.
Like Prof Brian Cox says....There are billions of actions that has seen us evolve to get to this point, using a unique set of components. It would be impossible to recreate these actions or the compositions of components to produce life anywhere else in the universe and produce life as we know it. We have only been able to fly to the moon for sixty years, so any other lifeforms that had beaten all the odds and followed our evolution, might have done it at a different time to us.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-01-2021, 02:18 PM

Hi

OGF, if you had met my Ex MIL you would, like me, have been convinced she was not human.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:31 PM

Yes, I do believe that's possible JB....

So what we are assuming is life in other solar systems could be our own, but perhaps millions of years ago before humans populated the earth.
The problem with one visible star being our sun billions of years ago is that there should be a long line of such images, each being a few million years younger, stretching right up to where our sun is now. I many be quite wrong, of course.

Yes indeed. Life elsewhere in our galaxy could conceivably be the predecessors of our life here on Earth right now.
The enormous distances between any two star systems would suggest travel (even at light speed) would take years. Who would want to go into space in search of a new planet to populate in the knowledge that you may die on the way, but in the hope that during the journey you might produce offspring who might make it in their own lifetimes.

I think the only reason anyone would do that would be if their own planet was about to be destroyed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-01-2021, 02:33 PM

That's true Swim, we have only occupied this planet for only a very small fraction of the time that the solar system has existed. And it looks like we won't be occupying it for too much longer. Three things spring to mind that will bring about our demise.
(1) Our own destruction. Wars, Viruses, Genocide, etc.

(2) The Earth is never still and is constantly changing and one day might just throw us off by some major catastrophe. Some might survive, but be set back hundreds, if not thousands of years. We will have to start all over again. Perhaps this has happened before and we are just getting to the point of collapse....

(3) An object from space......But not Martians or ow't like that....
And add to (1), over population. Already happening.

Page 9 of 13 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top