Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 04:44 PM

I Am Feeding 'my' garden Birds Again.

The bird food arrived from Haiths, so after cleaning & filling the water pots on the patio, bird bath on the grass & the pond, I put some food, mixed seed, suet pellets, dried mealworms & sunflower seeds on the patio & on the bird table, then sat down to wait.
And waited, & waited, , lots of birds about, a Robin singing somewhere nearby & even had a Blackbird & a few little birds in the buddleia, none for the food. Then a male Blackcap flew onto the bird table, the first bird in months, he took a suet pellet, but after eating it flew off again, just after that a Dunnock arrived on the patio, but instead of going for the bird food started turning over leaves looking for creepy crawlies. Two Wood pigeons arrived & started eating the patio food, followed by lots of Corvids & a Herring Gull, The latter two species of birds not what I wanted. They gobble everything & the little birds don't stand a chance. At that point I showed myself at the window & they all flew, but not far enough away.
I am now back at he PC, so they are bound to come back.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 04:48 PM

Re: I Am Feeding 'my' garden Birds Again.

When I looked out the kitchen window this morning I spotted a hen pheasant pecking her way around the grass under the fat ball feeder I put up last week. Later on, there was a robin giving the fat balls a real bashing while a blackbird was on the grass picking up the bits the robin had missed
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
When I looked out the kitchen window this morning I spotted a hen pheasant pecking her way around the grass under the fat ball feeder I put up last week. Later on, there was a robin giving the fat balls a real bashing while a blackbird was on the grass picking up the bits the robin had missed
Lucky you, but it has been months since I fed 'my' birds so it will take them a while to come back to feed.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

07-01-2021, 04:55 PM

Now got a male Blackbird feeding on the patio.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 05:18 PM

We had to give up feeding birds due to wood pigeons. There were about 3 pairs and they made a right mess of our wooden fence. I fixed a small table inside a shrub to feed the smaller birds. The only other birds we get are sparrows, blackbirds, collared doves and occasionally a robin.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 05:51 PM

I get Pigeons and Collard Doves too, Scott.
The Pigeons are a bit of a nuisancer in way, but they can't help being born a Pigeon, and they get cold and hungry too.

They will hog the feeder, same as the darn Squirrels, but I get round it by having 3 or 4 different feeders.
That way if the Pigeons are hogging one table, the little birds just go to another one.
Problem solved.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

07-01-2021, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
We had to give up feeding birds due to wood pigeons. There were about 3 pairs and they made a right mess of our wooden fence. I fixed a small table inside a shrub to feed the smaller birds. The only other birds we get are sparrows, blackbirds, collared doves and occasionally a robin.
Originally Posted by Mups ->
I get Pigeons and Collard Doves too, Scott.
The Pigeons are a bit of a nuisancer in way, but they can't help being born a Pigeon, and they get cold and hungry too.

They will hog the feeder, same as the darn Squirrels, but I get round it by having 3 or 4 different feeders.
That way if the Pigeons are hogging one table, the little birds just go to another one.
Problem solved.

Wood Pigeons not a problem here, it's the Corvids that are, Rooks, Jackdaws, Magpies & the odd Crow, though the latter not so often. I have a metal mesh surrounding my bird table so they can't get to that easily, little birds can, though the Rooks particularly do try, Most of those big birds will happily, but warily feed on the ground.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2021, 08:08 PM

I have lots of Rooks crows Jackdaws etc as well as the small birds . Yes they are a greedy bunch but they are birds too and are quite amusing .I have lots of feeders all around the place . Have fat wood pigeons too that waddle around making a mess everywhere but heck it’s cold outside and they are hungry .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 11:11 AM

I am thinking about putting some fat balls out, Tiff, I’m not going to take the chance of visiting Wilco at the moment, to risky.....have you seen any more rats?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

08-01-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I am thinking about putting some fat balls out, Tiff, I’m not going to take the chance of visiting Wilco at the moment, to risky.....have you seen any more rats?
No, I haven't Pauline, thank goodness. If they're only around at night I'll not see them anyway, it's when they are out during the day that it worries me. Having not actually fed the birds for nearly a year I hope they have gone elsewhere.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top