Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:07 PM

Covid: Surge leaves key hospital services 'in crisis'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55575112

Key hospital services in England are struggling under the pressure of rising Covid cases, figures suggest.

Data published by NHS England has found growing numbers facing long "trolley waits" because beds are not available.

Waits for routine care are also at their highest levels, with one-year waits over 100 times higher than they were before the pandemic started.

Meanwhile, cancer doctors are warning disruption to their services are "terrifying" and will cost lives.

Reports have emerged of hospitals cancelling urgent operations - London's King's College Hospital has stopped priority two treatments, which are those than need to be done within 28 days.

It comes after a surge in Covid patients in recent weeks. One in three patients in hospital have the virus - and at some sites it is over half. *

The data published on Thursday showed:

•Nearly 90,000 patients - one in four - admitted to hospital via A&E waited over four hours for a bed to be found - this includes both Covid and non-Covid patients
•This included a record 3,745 who waited more than 12 hours
•There was a record 4.46 million on the waiting list for routine treatment, including knee and hip operations
•More than 192,000 have waited over one year - in February, before the pandemic started, the figure stood at 1,600
* Even my local private hospital (Shire) is half-full of COVID patients, according to a nurse who works there .....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:16 PM

Re: Covid: Surge leaves key hospital services 'in crisis'

It's getting really scary out there now. I am a lot more worried now than I was back in March.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:26 PM

Re: Covid: Surge leaves key hospital services 'in crisis'

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
It's getting really scary out there now. I am a lot more worried now than I was back in March.
So am I - an ambulance has just left my street taking away a young lady from the house opposite .....

She was walking (slowly) and, seemingly, not injured .....

ETA The young lady in the house next door to the above has just had a visitor who left her car with hazard lights flashing, entered the house masked and gloved (but-empty-handed) and then left, 10 minutes later, with a large white envelope .....

Of course, it may be nothing to do with COVID and merely coincidental ..... but I'm not going to make a point of finding out by knocking on doors .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top