Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 01:48 PM

Re: The war of the Worlds

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Incidentally, talking about BBC dramas, there is a new one on New Year's Day: 'Dracula'.
I've put the recorder on and look forward to seeing it.
I'm hoping that it might be good!
What's the chances of Dracula being `non-binary`or transgender. Perhaps Mina and Lucy will be black also?

ETA. A quick Google later...

A new `literary adaptation` apparently. Written by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat. For literary adaption, read, nothing like the original. Can't even see a Lucy or a Van Helsing in the cast list. It would appear that that role is being taken over by a nun (Sister Agata), a minor figure in the original story. Once more, a feminist agenda being pursued by the BBC?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
What's the chances of Dracula being `non-binary`or transgender. Perhaps Mina and Lucy will be black also?

ETA. A quick Google later...

A new `literary adaptation` apparently. Written by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat. For literary adaption, read, nothing like the original. Can't even see a Lucy or a Van Helsing in the cast list. It would appear that that role is being taken over by a nun (Sister Agata), a minor figure in the original story. Once more, a feminist agenda being pursued by the BBC?

Yes, you've got to laugh.

The unbiased BBC making everybody 'equal' by over-representing any minorities they can think up!

It keeps everybody happy, of course!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 02:13 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula_(2020_TV_series)

According to creators Dracula in their version is "the hero of his own story" – the central focus of the narrative, main character, rather than a shadowy villain for more traditional heroes to overcome. Also according to creators, as with their TV series Sherlock, their version of Dracula is both faithful and faithless at the same time, since they've taken details from the original novel, added a lot of new stuff [that wasn't in the novel] and ignored some passages from the novel.
So that's another production I won't bother to watch .....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Incidentally, talking about BBC dramas, there is a new one on New Year's Day: 'Dracula'.
I've put the recorder on and look forward to seeing it.
I'm hoping that it might be good!
I've been Royally disappointed by most of the Beeb's drama output over the last 12 months or so, I shall not be watching this besides, I dislike horror movies or TV series so, on that note alone, I won't watch it.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 05:47 PM

The War of the Worlds TV series was rubbish. Why did they have to shoehorn the love aspect into it? It added nothing worthwhile whatsoever to the plot and I felt it had been added just to pad out the lamentably thin script.

At least I made it to episode two before I gave up, unlike the recent remake of A Christmas Carol in which I didn't even bother watching. I don't need more 'right on', politically correct, finger-wagging preachiness from the loonies at the BBC.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
The War of the Worlds TV series was rubbish. Why did they have to shoehorn the love aspect into it? It added nothing worthwhile whatsoever to the plot and I felt it had been added just to pad out the lamentably thin script.

At least I made it to episode two before I gave up, unlike the recent remake of A Christmas Carol in which I didn't even bother watching. I don't need more 'right on', politically correct, finger-wagging preachiness from the loonies at the BBC.

If they had to compete on a level playing field, I'm sure they'd be obliged to reconsider their bias.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

Exactly, the War of the Worlds isn't an overlong novel so it would have been necessary to throw irrelevant bits into the mix. I do wish they wouldn't bother doing `re-imaginings and save a bit of money by showing the originals especially where the works of Dickens are concerned.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top