Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Preparing for winter

Do you make any particular preparations for winter each year, ot just take it as it comes?

I always have my boiler serviced, he is coming beginning of December this year.
Do others have their boilers serviced every year, or is it just a waste of money do you think?

My car has just been fully serviced and it's MOT as well, and I shall get a couple of front tyres replaced incase we get snow, as the tread on these is not as good as it could be.

I must admit I don't do a lot else, not unless there is a forecast predicting really bad weather on the way, then I will nip out and make sure I have extra supplies in for myself and the dogs as well.

Has anyone had their heating on yet?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Re: Preparing for winter

I live in a HA flat so we have our boilers serviced every year for safety .
Have had the heating on for a few weeks now up here , it's not comfortable sitting without some background warmth .
I do get a small stock of tinned goods in in the event of being snowbound .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:31 PM

I am 'all electric' here so make sure I have batteries for torches and gas for the camping stove in case the power goes off.

My woolen jumpers and tights come out of storage onto the shelves in my wardrobe and the summer clothes go away.

I make sure there is a good supply of soup and bread in the freezer and flour, dry goods and nuts in the store cupboard. Once it gets cold I usually buy a net of onions and a sack of unwashed potatoes and store them in the garage.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Good thread idea, Mups

Like yourself, I make sure the boiler is running smoothly. Ours is over 10 years old now so we may need anew one next year. I check the pipes too. Last year they froze outside and I replaced the silver tape and foam around them.

I need all four tyres on my car replacing which I'll do next month. The two front ones had an 'advisory' from my last service and one at the back has a slow puncture, so I'll get them all done.

I swap over all my summer clothes for winter ones in my wardrobes and drawers, putting the summer clothing in storage boxes or throw them out or give to charity shops.
Need new slippers and fleece jogging bottom which I wear around the house.

We need a new door fitted to the living room as it gets draughty, so I'll be getting a joiner mate in to sort that out.

Porridge after work in the mornings for breakfast
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:43 PM

By now we've got enough fuel to tide us over untill around march. Anthracite for the Aga, heating oil for the central heating, dried cut logs for the living room stove, and diesel for the generator if the power fails. Might get some more though if the forecast is right.

We've got bird food, and el-cheepo dried dog food we put out for whatever wanders across the patio in the cold. The regular hedgehog (we've nicknamed it fluffy) will be hibernating in a few weeks but it's well rounded by now and there's a shelter it uses at the bottom of the garden so all being well ---.

The freezer stocked up but The Memsahib is still doing her thing with dried goods so now for us it's a case of how long 'till Spring?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you make any particular preparations for winter each year, ot just take it as it comes?
I take it as it comes .....

House and car are prepared/serviced. Food stocks are high. Clothes are available when required.

I'm only a short walk from most services and shops.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:59 PM

Having your boiler serviced every year is very sensible Mups. Just make sure they do a proper job. Some gas engineers don't even open up the boiler. I'm also paranoid about gas safety so always have a gas certificate done too. We had the heating on the last few days as it's getting nippy. The thermostat decides when it should be on.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:13 PM

I’m the same as Omah. I take it as it comes.
I don’t do anything extra for winter as to me that would be panicking.

Yes, l have had my heating on quite a bit.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:27 PM

I don't do anything in particular either, except in the garden.

I'm lucky that there's enough storage space in my bedroom so that I don't have to pack away unseasonable clothes.

The car's due an MOT at the end of November so I'll probably get it serviced then, but I hardly use it these days. Last MOT I'd only done 400 miles in the previous 12 months And I won't drive in the snow (if it snows), and even if it does snow it never lasts very long.

Boiler....had it serviced a couple of years ago, in the summer I only put it on twice a week and in the winter I only have the heating on when absolutely necessary.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:31 PM

I’m going to Australia .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top