Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 03:20 PM

Re: Fears come to fruition

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Short selling the Euro.

Well every currency is short sold from time to time, it is what speculators do.
Hence these regulations? https://ec.europa.eu/info/business-e...ort-selling_en
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I think that most seasonal pickers come from very low-earning eastern European countries. They were prepared to come over for the three months or so and work long hours to get as much money as they can. Unfortunately, I think Brexit, the thought that they are no longer welcome by some, plus the pound at the moment hasn't helped, as they can earn more in other EU countries.

British workers are not prepared to work for a minimum wage. Most live in our towns and cities. To get a job picking, they would need to come off benefits and housing, move to a rural area to earn less than they are probably claiming. Then they would have to go through the ordeal of claiming all over again at the end of the season. They won't do that.

As for students, The Apple season is September to November. when they are back at college.

No, I'm afraid Growers are going to have to learn that Brits will not work for what they call peanuts. A minimum hourly pay of £10 would probably be a starting point if they want workers from this country.

Here’s some quotes from people in the industry

“Anybody that thinks SAWS can be replaced by students and unemployed is, frankly, delusional,” agrees Hardman at Hops Labour.

In particular, politicians must resist the temptation to think they can push unemployed people into farm jobs. “The DWP Welfare to Work scheme was an unmitigated disaster,” says Hardman. “We had about 100 people, and after 12 weeks we had one left. The majority of them walked off the job within two days.”

Olins at British Summer Fruit sees just one way to make farm work more attractive to Brits: “Move it to urban farms, pay in excess of £10 an hour, offer work between 9-5pm with no weekend work and ensure the work is easy!”
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->

“Anybody that thinks SAWS can be replaced by students and unemployed is, frankly, delusional,” agrees Hardman at Hops Labour.

In particular, politicians must resist the temptation to think they can push unemployed people into farm jobs. “The DWP Welfare to Work scheme was an unmitigated disaster,” says Hardman. “We had about 100 people, and after 12 weeks we had one left. The majority of them walked off the job within two days.”

Olins at British Summer Fruit sees just one way to make farm work more attractive to Brits: “Move it to urban farms, pay in excess of £10 an hour, offer work between 9-5pm with no weekend work and ensure the work is easy!”

See I told you cheap foreign labour was a bad idea. Exchange rates are to blame for this and not investing in automation.
globeflower
Rutland, UK
globeflower is male 

13-10-2019, 12:50 AM

The Government plans to scrap most food tariffs if there is a 'no deal' brexit, and our farmers are not happy about it. NFU President Minette Batters said: “Without the maintenance of tariff protections, we are in danger of opening up the UK to imported food which would be illegal to be produced here, produced at a lower cost because it may fail to meet the environmental and animal welfare standards which are legally required of our own farmers - flooding our market and resulting in unsustainable price falls."
No doubt Boris wishes to avoid the spectacle of empty shelves, food inflation and panic buying so has decided to sacrifice the domestic farming industry to this end. The problem of insufficient labour to pick or harvest crops will disappear, as producing those crops in this country will become uneconomic. The good news is that as farm incomes plummet, all those lovely green fields can then be built on, thus solving the housing crisis. Farmers should, in any event be very nervous about farming subsidies post-brexit, because whilst we were in the EU the French ensured that they remained suitably generous - a Mrs E Windsor of London picks up half a million a year in Basic payments alone. After we leave it will fall to the whim of our decidedly urban politicos to apportion subsidies, which will rapidly tumble down the list of spending priorities.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 01:26 AM

Actually, seasonal work used to be done by students and the unemployed, i know because i have done it when as a student AND during the time i was unemployed. Back when i was doing it, the work was back breaking BUT it paid well. Now if this guy Hardman at Hops Labour believes in what he says then in my opinion it is him and his farmer colleagues who have created the problems they face, not the government. Farmers want cheap labour, end of and i do not care what any of them say to the contrary. They want you to work long hours, 7 days a week for low pay and that is a FACT. My Uncle Pete who married my Aunt was a farmer, he lived and worked in Sandwich in Kent so i do know a thing or to about what they do.

Farmers are also very demanding on their time, crops must be picked when they say and where they say. This is not always suitable or convenient for students or the unemployed due to having already existing commitments. Therefore the only other option is EU labour. It is cheap and can move around freely and at anytime.

Farmers would make good politicians because they are very good at deflecting problems of their doing onto others.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Actually, seasonal work used to be done by students and the unemployed, i know because i have done it when as a student AND during the time i was unemployed. Back when i was doing it, the work was back breaking BUT it paid well. Now if this guy Hardman at Hops Labour believes in what he says then in my opinion it is him and his farmer colleagues who have created the problems they face, not the government. Farmers want cheap labour, end of and i do not care what any of them say to the contrary. They want you to work long hours, 7 days a week for low pay and that is a FACT. My Uncle Pete who married my Aunt was a farmer, he lived and worked in Sandwich in Kent so i do know a thing or to about what they do.

Farmers are also very demanding on their time, crops must be picked when they say and where they say. This is not always suitable or convenient for students or the unemployed due to having already existing commitments. Therefore the only other option is EU labour. It is cheap and can move around freely and at anytime.

Farmers would make good politicians because they are very good at deflecting problems of their doing onto others.

Farmers also get lots of money from the EU for doing nothing too. But shhhh dont tell anyone
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
See I told you cheap foreign labour was a bad idea. Exchange rates are to blame for this and not investing in automation.

I see you’re having comprehension problems again
Banchory
Kent

13-10-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->

Students still pick crops. It’s just that they do it in France or Australia in the summer holidays or gap years

Perhaps we need to align the main student holidays with the planting and harvest seasons so that the nation can ulilise the resource

Where I live I’m surrounded by farms and small market gardens. Most of the crops are harvested by mechanical means but that is not possible for all crops

The itinerant crop picking labour will generally go where they can earn the most but Brexit has added another factor. A recent news article on tv showed recruiters in Romania only attracting a handful of people to their recruitment day whereas in previous years there had been hundreds

The message from individuals they interviewed was that the UK was not considered to be safe for them as the message they had gleaned from Brexit was that they were not wanted and there was a lot of animosity towards them. So they are not coming in the numbers we need

Yes mechanisation may solve some of the issues in the future but it cannot solve them all and still keep our farmers competitive in the UK and world markets particularly with low or non existent tariffs on the agri sector affording little or no protection from cheap imports
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Farmers also get lots of money from the EU for doing nothing too. But shhhh dont tell anyone
Ah friend bread, even from the far off americas you share with us your pearls of wisdom.
Assuming of course your earlier statement about your trip to new york wasn't one of your statements with false intent.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

13-10-2019, 01:19 PM

I see you’re having comprehension problems again

Reads perfectly well to me.

What was your point again ?

Oh yeah ... no point, because you can't find one to copy and paste

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top