Join for free
Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Re: Defiant Charlie Hebdo

Normally the print run of this magazine is 60,000 (?) 3 Million of this latest issue have been printed, make of that what you will.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 01:41 PM

I saw this on the News this morning and to be quite honest I'm stunned.

The Muslim population of France reached an estimated 6.5 million in 2013 - that's just under 10% of the 2013 population insulted or ridiculed to make a point on freedom of speech or defiance in the face of terrorism if you want to call it that when the dignity of the mass march was far, far more effective IMHO.

Surely Right-Wing groups and Rent-a-Mob will see this as a carte blanche nod to attacks on ALL Muslims, just in case?! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

The Muslim population of France reached an estimated 6.5 million in 2013 - that's just under 10% of the 2013 population insulted or ridiculed to make a point on freedom of speech or defiance in the face of terrorism if you want to call it that when the dignity of the mass march was far, far more effective IMHO.Surely Right-Wing groups and Rent-a-Mob will see this as a carte blanche nod to attacks on ALL Muslims, just in case?! stevmk2
Perfect post - because it makes sense - at least to me
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We never had such marches with the London bombings and no prime minister came over to grieve with us. So what is wrong with the French?

Just goes to show the big gap between France and the UK and not only the English channel.
I did think the same at first - but then thought the march was warranted, so dismissed it .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

The Muslim population of France reached an estimated 6.5 million in 2013 - that's just under 10% of the 2013 population insulted or ridiculed to make a point on freedom of speech or defiance in the face of terrorism if you want to call it that when the dignity of the mass march was far, far more effective IMHO.

Surely Right-Wing groups and Rent-a-Mob will see this as a carte blanche nod to attacks on ALL Muslims, just in case?! stevmk2
Absolutely great post !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 01:50 PM

I consider this action to be more provocative than defiant.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-01-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I consider this action to be more provocative than defiant.
That's how I see it ......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 02:01 PM

I would agree with you Patsy, not a good idea in my opinion and so soon after the dignified mass rally that spoke for the vast majority of peace loving folks. Just like you I can’t understand it, as someone here said on another thread, with free speech comes responsibility, this to my mind is not being responsible and I dearly hope nobody suffers as a result.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-01-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I would agree with you Patsy, not a good idea in my opinion and so soon after the dignified mass rally that spoke for the vast majority of peace loving folks. Just like you I can’t understand it, as someone here said on another thread, with free speech comes responsibility, this to my mind is not being responsible and I dearly hope nobody suffers as a result.

I see it that way too and pray no one suffers as a result too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 02:09 PM

It was interesting listening to some Muslims speaking on the the TV yesterday , they said they love this country for the 'right to free speech' and they don't want it silenced on their behalf on the say so of those who think they have a right to speak in their name.

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top