Join for free
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 06:47 PM

Re: I'm Muslim ... Hug me ?

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'm not sure I would have hugged him.
Something seems 'off' about it all, though for the life of me I can't put my finger on it.

It's one thing saying ....
'I trust you. Do you trust me? If yes, hug me'

It seems he's trying to make another point entirely to do the same with a placard saying ...

'I'm a Muslim, but I'm told that I'm a terrorist. I trust you, do you trust me? If yes, hug me.'

A bit like some have criticised anyone adopting the French flag in support of France ..something doesn't appeal to me about this.
I am with you on this Morty.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I think they are not allowed to have any physical contact with men, no hand shake or anything, but not sure about other women. I remember a student at uni receiving an award and apologising to the presenter because she could not shake his hand.
Yes it is permitted with women I have hugged many homesick young Muslim women ( with their permission of course, 'would you like a hug I think you need one' )
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 06:59 PM

No i would not hug him, mind you i never hugged a hoodie either.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 07:02 PM

I understand his pain. But, honestly I would not hug him. Forgiveness for me starts at home, in their temples where they need to speak out against fanatics. Muslims leaders are very quiet when these acts occur. Leaders of their religious communities should come out and speak the truth about the falsehood religious reality of the terrorist
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 07:53 PM

I don't think I would hug him, I have nothing against law abiding peace loving individuals, be they Muslims or whatever, but in these frightening times I just wouldn't.

My attitude I suppose proves his point..
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 08:27 PM

No hug from me either. Seems almost like another ploy to reassure a world that has just been shaken that everything is all right and it seems like an attempt to deflect the bad press muslims are now getting. I ahbor stunts like this.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Heatherbelle ->
No hug from me either. Seems almost like another ploy to reassure a world that has just been shaken that everything is all right and it seems like an attempt to deflect the bad press muslims are now getting. I ahbor stunts like this.
That's pretty low really
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 08:58 PM

I would have had more respect for him had he volunteered his services at a hospital where the massacre victims are.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Heatherbelle ->
I would have had more respect for him had he volunteered his services at a hospital where the massacre victims are.
Its a fair point but I don't know about 'more' respect
Genuine Muslims are going through hell too, lets not forget that
Respect to the French that responded to him
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2015, 09:07 PM

I guess for me, my reluctance to hug the chap would stem from this ...

It was 'differences' that caused the attack.
Was his intent to highlight those differences? Tell everyone that Muslims are victims too?

Instead of focusing on the 'us' and 'them' ... emphasising a common humanity and showing abhorrence for extremists might have been a more clear cut message.

Too much subtlety can get lost .. especially when the media get their paws on it.

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top