Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 10:34 PM

Hi viz jackets/tops

Not sure if we've asked this before, but are they really necessary?

Richard Littlejohn in the Daily Mail takes the p*** out of people who don them for no particular reason, citing a case in today's paper of a swimmer, in charge of a group of teenagers at a pool, who slipped an hv top over her costume before getting in the pool! Made me laugh. Whatever was the reasoning behind that?

This reminded me of the two ladies who arrived at the allotment this morning, to meet the allotment officer. They were managers of the Community Payback team. One was wearing an hv top, and went to her car to get one for her colleague when she arrived.

The CP team wear them, as do their supervisors. If they need to stand out from us plot holders, so be it. But why did these ladies need to wear them? It's true that cars are over the site, but if ordinary people can be seen, so can they. Did they expect fog to descend suddenly? If they need hv vests, don't the rest of us, who use the site all the time?

Answers, on a high viz vest, please.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2014, 11:13 PM

Re: Hi viz jackets/tops

Health and safety
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Not sure if we've asked this before, but are they really necessary?

Richard Littlejohn in the Daily Mail takes the p*** out of people who don them for no particular reason, citing a case in today's paper of a swimmer, in charge of a group of teenagers at a pool, who slipped an hv top over her costume before getting in the pool! Made me laugh. Whatever was the reasoning behind that?
To be easily identified as the person in charge - in case of emergency ?

This reminded me of the two ladies who arrived at the allotment this morning, to meet the allotment officer. They were managers of the Community Payback team. One was wearing an hv top, and went to her car to get one for her colleague when she arrived.

The CP team wear them, as do their supervisors. If they need to stand out from us plot holders, so be it. But why did these ladies need to wear them? It's true that cars are over the site, but if ordinary people can be seen, so can they. Did they expect fog to descend suddenly? If they need hv vests, don't the rest of us, who use the site all the time?
Again - to identify themselves, this time as part of the CP team. Here the CP supervisors HVs actually say 'Supervisor' on the back in case people have a query or even a problem with CPs being around. Not everyone welcomes them.
Answers, on a high viz vest, please.
Sorry - it's in the wash !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:53 AM

Hi viz doesn't bother me but I do get a bit nervous when the council chap comes to see the flats and puts on a hard hat, I am never sure what he expects to fall on him but walking round with him I find myself looking above a lot wondering what is going to hit us
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 10:49 AM

My Son has to wear a high Viz jacket for his job. If he wore ordinary clothes where he worked no one would know who he was.
He works with hundreds of people
Also on nights the high viz shows him up if a light shines on it. This is
for Police or Ambulance especially near traffic.
My son works to protect the building and also the people who work in it.
He also does first aid and would be someone you could rely on. The jacket
is what makes him stand out if an emergency happened.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 06:49 PM

I was questioning why the two ladies had to wear one just to be on our allotment site. I thought it was a bit OTT.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Think it's completely OTT people seem to wear them at every turn. On the continent, in France particularly, I believe it's an offence NOT to carry a hi vis vest in your car and triangle, too.
But on an allotment??!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Think it's completely OTT people seem to wear them at every turn. On the continent, in France particularly, I believe it's an offence NOT to carry a hi vis vest in your car and triangle, too.
But on an allotment??!

Well there are all those demijohns full of fermenting wine - if one of those goes 'pop' - nasty!!!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 08:27 PM

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2014, 06:02 AM

I am particularly enamoured of the RANs work uniform - camouflage overalls with hi-Vis reflective strips on the arms and legs?? Work that one out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top