Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:37 PM

Re: Do you ever feel the urge to rescue someone who has lost their way?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks Pauline x I feel for you having been in that situation.

This is someone I don't know that well but she has chosen to reach out to me for some reason. I don't know the full story but I have been piecing it together and it's as though she is alone and trying to turn her life around but it's not quite working out. But pride prevents her from admitting that. She needs moral support but she is pushing people away instead. Crazy right? But ever so human.
Yes,I can understand her,pushing people away,I did the same.

I wish you well ,Annie,she is blessed to have a friend like you,x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:37 PM

I know exactly what you mean there Mups! I have overdone helping others in the past and it is like a steamroller. There's no thanks but you know you have done the right thing to reach out when nobody else does. Isn't that what makes us human? To help each other?

Yes, I do understand Annie.

However, I am not emotionally involved in your case like you are, so may look at things a little differently.

Do you think once we become emotionally involved it tends to make us see, and handle, things differently?

I have done my share of helping others, believe me, and know we don't always come out of it all warm and glowing.
Sometimes it can even make things more complicated and drain you.

All I can say is, if you feel you can help and make a difference to this person, then go ahead, but prepare for a rocky road too.

Good luck.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Very true - but - be sure to remember it is her baggage, not yours. Be there for her, help her all you can, but do not carry the baggage away with you.
I know I must try to remember this. I need grounding too. Thanks ST!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I do understand Annie.

However, I am not emotionally involved in your case like you are, so may look at things a little differently.

Do you think once we become emotionally involved it tends to make us see, and handle, things differently?

I have done my share of helping others, believe me, and know we don't always come out of it all warm and glowing.
Sometimes it can even make things more complicated and drain you.

All I can say is, if you feel you can help and make a difference to this person, then go ahead, but prepare for a rocky road too.

Good luck.
Thanks Mups.

I realise that I should not rush in to help. What is it that makes us do that? But I have reached out and I hope that gives some comfort in a storm. I feel the same for wounded people as anyone would for a wounded bird. It's just the way I am.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 12:04 AM

Thanks Mups.

I realise that I should not rush in to help. What is it that makes us do that? But I have reached out and I hope that gives some comfort in a storm. I feel the same for wounded people as anyone would for a wounded bird. It's just the way I am.
And it is a good way, Annie, don't ever change. Just leave the baggage outside your front door for your own protection.

Also - if you need support to help you to help your friend - i am certain you will find it in here.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:22 AM

Annie, you are already ahead of the game in that you are conscious of only allowing her to vent to you up to a point. It sounds like you are strong enough to be able to pull away if you are getting abused. Even those of us who show compassion over and over learn from experience and gain wisdom.

Keep the proper guidelines in place, perhaps she's learning how to better cope. You are a good friend she has in her corner.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 06:11 AM

Annie , remember the thread about the Empath . Empaths absorb the energy of others often unknowingly , we are fixers as we dont like to see pain in others .

I have been a fixer all my life and probably always will be . Its lovely to help others but be aware you may get hurt too . You cant carry someone but you can offer guidance . If they dont take the guidance you may need to walk away and that's ok to do . We only have so much energy to give out dont we
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 06:47 AM

Noses should be kept OUT. People understand what they perceive and for them perception is reality but there is absolutely no guarantee that perception equates to "real" reality.

Best keep out and leave people to sort out their own mess. Doing other seldom if ever will end well.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Artful , yes what you say is true , but that does make it a sad unkind lonely world if we turn our backs on another when there is suffering . It's good that in our world we have kindness after all it's a hard life alone . I'm glad that I have the natural feeling of empathy and always will ask if i can help and i do . I've been in need of help in my life and am grateful to those who offered a helping hand when I felt I was drowning . We are human and feel loss and pain dont we, some are unable to cope with that alone .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Artful , yes what you say is true , but that does make it a sad unkind lonely world if we turn our backs on another when there is suffering . It's good that in our world we have kindness after all it's a hard life alone . I'm glad that I have the natural feeling of empathy and always will ask if i can help and i do . I've been in need of help in my life and am grateful to those who offered a helping hand when I felt I was drowning . We are human and feel loss and pain dont we, some are unable to cope with that alone .
Help is fine if that is a thing that you want to do - but ONLY when it is explicitly asked for.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top