Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 10:42 AM

Afghanistan

Hundreds of our boys and allies have made the supreme sacrifice to give that country democracy, they got it 4 years ago, they had another election recently and it turned out a farce with accusations of corruption etc,

They had planned to have yet another election with our boys putting their lives on the line to ensure it was fair but the only candidate standing against their present leader has pulled out, he was the guy who complained about the recent elections being corrupt too.

It's time we and the other allies pulled out, enough is enough, the Afghanis don't want democracy, all they want is their little tribal feuds continuing like they have been for eons, Afghanistan produces 95% of the Heroin in circulation in the west, if we do pull out we should lay waste to all arable land and let them get on with their sad existence.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Re: Afghanistan

It's such a desparate situation - I really don't know what the answer is
(Though one might be to sign contacts to buy all the poppy production - I believe we are actually on the cusp of not having enough medicinal opium (= morphine) What's that all about?)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 06:37 PM

There is a guy in Afganistan (I think he's a Brit. not 100% sure) anyway he has discovered that Afganistan has the perfect climate and soil for the production of Pommgranites (They are like a larger & sweeter version of a grapefruit) and if volumes were large enough they could be more profitable than heroin!! Nearly every country imports Pommygranites from the few that produce them now so demand is there yet no one is taking this guy seriously.............WHY ? seems that if the farmers switched to this crop a lot of the drug barrons would be out of business or is that just too simple an answer ?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
WHY ? seems that if the farmers switched to this crop a lot of the drug barrons would be out of business or is that just too simple an answer ?
It's quite complicated Harvey, . . some farmers have no option but to grow the poppies, the Taliban still rule the country contrary to what the military might say, . . get our boys out now, . . the Russians tried all this for 9 years and lost thousands of troops, and they were'nt as civilised as our troops.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 06:53 PM

Has anyone seen Charlie Wilson's War, with Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. I know it was Hollywood but it was based on fact.
The US was happy to pump in squillions of $$s to beat the Soviets ... but wouldn't follow that with the millions needed for schools and hospitals. So sad. What an opportunity missed
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
the Russians tried all this for 9 years and lost thousands of troops, and they were'nt as civilised as our troops.
I must admit that if the Russian Army couldn't succede it's not looking good. The Russian Army is the largest employer in the world by far and I have seen at first hand some of their methods of discipline by their officers towards the other ranks, not nice I agree
nero
Central Scotland

01-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
I must admit that if the Russian Army couldn't succede it's not looking good. The Russian Army is the largest employer in the world by far and I have seen at first hand some of their methods of discipline by their officers towards the other ranks, not nice I agree
The Russians took the gloves off as far as collateral damage was concerned Harvey, . . and innocent lives lost was no concern to them either, . . our allied troops have the whole world looking on just waiting to criticise them on civilian deaths, . . look what was said about the fuel tanker that was bombed.

As I said, our boys should be brought home, let the locals sort themselves out they deserve each other, it may seem callous of me speaking this way because of innocent children etc, but those kids will grow up just like the insurgents coz they'll be brainwashed like the Taliban, . . it's a no-win situation for everybody.
nero
Central Scotland

01-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
It's such a desparate situation - I really don't know what the answer is
(Though one might be to sign contacts to buy all the poppy production - I believe we are actually on the cusp of not having enough medicinal opium (= morphine) What's that all about?)
Originally the reason we got involved over there was a knee jerk reaction after 9/11, we had to do something to thwart the Taliban, many countries all over the world were the victims of Islamic terrorism.

The "political" reasons were a front IMO, the west made the excuse that we were there to give them democracy but that was a front to keep other Islamic states happy, we did not want to upset middle east oil states IMO.

Now they've got a democratically elected government it's high time we left.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2009, 01:15 AM

I don't know what the answer is either but I thought you might like to read what was published today in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/us...tter.html?_r=1
nero
Central Scotland

02-11-2009, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
I don't know what the answer is either but I thought you might like to read what was published today in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/us...tter.html?_r=1
Thanks for that Joan, to me Al Qaeda and the Taliban are one and the same thing, the Taliban went on a destruction spree in their own country destroying everything they thought was not Islamic, ancient building and monuments built long before Islam was founded, they stripped a museum of everything in it and burned the lot, they're vandals IMO.

As I've already said, get the boys home and leave them to it, if they want to live 2,000 years behind the times that's their lookout.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top