Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Politicians

I watched Roy Hatersley (he used to be a labour MP) being interviewed last night on TV by Andrew Neil.

Hatersley was made a lord a few years ago and now sits in the house of lords, Neil asked him if he would remain in the lords if labour LOST the next election, he said yes, . . in his words, . . to make as much trouble as possible for the tories, . . if labour WINS the next election he'll resign from the lords.

The lords are the highest courts in the land, . . they decide which laws apply and which don't, . . if a law is passed to them from the house of commons they can say yay or nay, . . as happened recently when they threw out the banking bill on unfair charges.

The houses of parliament were regarded as the birthplace of democracy throughout the world, . . not any more it seems, . . because of their political persuasions (the lords), and not in the interests justice or fairness, they're deciding which laws will apply and which will not.

We elect MP's to represent the citizens of this country, we have no choice with the lords who are unelected, . . democracy has unfortunately ended in the UK because of "A" holes who play silly buggas all the time.
chinadoll
Wales
chinadoll is female  chinadoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2009, 08:38 PM

Re: Politicians

I can see this is an old post Nero. I just wanted to say as a newcomer

I HATE GORDON BROWN! I shouted down a megaphone for that!!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2009, 09:00 AM

I wish the Lords had more power.

They JUST might have stopped that war criminal Blair from invading another country and killing hundreds of thousands.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2009, 09:39 AM

I couldn't believe that disgusting man Blair stated last week that he would have invaded Iraq even if there were no WMD (which there weren't anyway, so he did). He is little more than a dictator himself.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
I couldn't believe that disgusting man Blair stated last week that he would have invaded Iraq even if there were no WMD (which there weren't anyway, so he did). He is little more than a dictator himself.
Woah MM, . . he had no WMD ! . . where did he get the nerve gas that killed thousands of Kurds ?

Blair admitted we had to rid the world of saddam even if as (supposedly) there were no WMD.
Iraq is a vast country to hide anything in, it's a pity we found nothing of consequence, it would have vindicated Blair and the allies, . . do you honestly believe the world would be better off with saddam still around, . . IMO he was a mad dog and got his just desserts.
nero
Central Scotland

14-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I wish the Lords had more power.
They have too much power IMO, . . lots of people were disappointed they threw out the bankers bill, . . thanks the the lords, banks can continue to charge up to £39 a letter if you go into un-arranged overdraft.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2009, 01:35 PM

I'd like a strong, moderating, second house - but not composed as present.
I'm particularly sore about the presence of bishops of the C of E, who, in effect, blocked any moves towards voluntary euthanasia last time a bill was put forward.
Bah! Totally unelected and not responsible to anyone - yet they can block legislation backed by a huge majority of the population
nero
Central Scotland

14-12-2009, 02:13 PM

On a lighter note, . . . is it a coincidence that the worst politicians were previously Lawyers.

If you look at the house of commons and the house of lords it's rife with ex Lawyers.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Woah MM, . . he had no WMD ! . . where did he get the nerve gas that killed thousands of Kurds ?

Blair admitted we had to rid the world of saddam even if as (supposedly) there were no WMD.
He did not say that at the time he said in Parliment when asked that it would be illegle to invade if there where no WMD, hopefully it will come out at this inquire, dont hold out much hope after Hutton and the cover up

That makes it under British and more importantly under International law and Illegal war.

To invade a Sovereign country who is no threat to you is naked aggression and that of a war criminal.

Where did he get the never gas that he killed the Kurds with 15 years before he was invaded, The Americans with help from Thatcher
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

14-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
They have too much power IMO, . . lots of people were disappointed they threw out the bankers bill, . . thanks the the lords, banks can continue to charge up to £39 a letter if you go into un-arranged overdraft.

Not quite sure what you are saying.

If its about the Judges that threw out the Banks overseer right to force the banks to return monies they had charged to all.

That was the new Suprime Court made up by 7 Judges(I think) to look at the law, a law Parliament had made when giving powers to the bank ombudsman and decided it did not apply in this case, nothing to do with the House of Lords.

Bit like the case 30 years ago when Livingstone started using rate payers monies to subsidize public transport, The law was he could do this to make up a shortfall but not allowed to use this to reduce fares.

Lord Denning at the time was lambasted for this ruling by the Socalist scum who ran London at the time, a few years later our Ken said he was right and the rule of law was maintained over the politician's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top