Join for free
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 11:43 AM

Re: Hip replacement

If I ever have to have a hip replacement I am going to get them replaced with wheels.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I don't understand how this works.
Don't want to cause any agro with the question, but I think this would cause a lot of worry.
The very thing I'm worried about shirley - does she go back to the first appointment or what?!

(It was the 25th of June by the way - I mistyped it!) stevmk2
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
Pat would that mean if there was not a bed available for her on the 17th that she also does not have a bed for the 22nd. I don't understand how this works.

Don't want to cause any agro with the question, but I think this would cause a lot of worry.
It can be a juggling act I'm afraid.....stevmk2's original appointment may be offered to the next person on the list and if his good lady finds that there isn't a bed available on the revised appointment then she should be offered her original appointment and the next person will have to revert to their original appointment providing there is not an emergency admission.

I wouldn't want to be a bed manager, it's a nightmare for both patients and them.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
It can be a juggling act I'm afraid.....stevmk2's original appointment may be offered to the next person on the list and if his good lady finds that there isn't a bed available on the revised appointment then she should be offered her original appointment and the next person will have to revert to their original appointment providing there is not an emergency admission.
I wouldn't want to be a bed manager, it's a nightmare for both patients and them.
Bit of a nightmare trying to resolve work for me Pats - we've got one staff member off long-term as of NOW so it's going to be all down to me for everything at work but I can't give firm dates on when I'm going to need time-off because of this!

I don't get paid leave to care for my wife so I have to book some days as holiday and lose hours & money on others; being a part-time employee it's going to hurt us a bit. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

29-05-2014, 04:10 PM

We've been to the hospital today for my wife's Assessment so I took the day off - unpaid - to be with her.

I'm a bit annoyed now that, far from being the last one, she's got to go again next Tuesday!

I'm working, or trying to work and we can't afford for me to keep taking time-off so this comes as a bit of a shock, especially as I work for a Care Home Charity and we're short-staffed now - is this always like this?

We've got expenses to cover with things we need to buy for my wife's recuperation but we've only just been told of this 2nd Assessment appointment and she can't really walk far now.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit stressed-out over this now. stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Steve, have you a relative who maybe could accompany your wife on her next appointment?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

03-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Stress going up even more now Mags and No, we haven't got anybody to help us really.

We've got family close buy but they won't be any use!

My wife finally had her assessment last week then they said she had to go back again today!

It's all very well getting advice and I was expecting some of this thanks to what people have already told me here but I'm getting more worried now because I really can't afford to keep taking any more time off work unpaid and I don't really want to use more of my holiday time but it's looking like I might have no choice though now.

They're telling her she'll need my close attention and help for 6 weeks and I was prepared but it's all those dos & don'ts................!

I get the impression that my wife' s case is a little different because she's getting quite a lot more dos & don'ts that others have told me and she's also got to wear compression stockings for weeks too - very awkward to get on and off apparently.

She's been told that our bed is apparently fine for after the operation - surprised about that 'cos it's only about 16 inches from floor to the top of the mattress but, as we expected, our settee's too low and can't be adjusted in any safe way as it has bloody-great bear-paw front feet but small, round back feet - I mean, who thinks up these "design features" on modern furniture?!!

We've got a solution for that already though but we need a booster cushion to get it a bit higher so that her knee remains below the level of her hip at all times.

We were told before that a booster would be provided or we'd get a chit for one but apparently not now - dunno now who said we did - so I've had to order one - but they're quoting 28 days delivery now!

I've had to send a desperate e-mail but I'm also going to have to try and borrow one from work now.

The physiotherapist today mentioned to my wife that she noticed that she has a tendency to turn on her hips as she turns her head; (I've told her that for years!); a legacy I think from 20 years in Catering, but she's been told she MUST stop doing that immediately!

The reasons are obvious - it'll strain the new hip and possibly cause serious damage but they really emphasised it very strongly - my wife's worried sick now!

Another blow today was the good quality wheelchair my job said I could borrow seems to have a foot support missing - the left one, and that's the very one we need most!

Dunno what I'm going to do now so we'll have to ask the physiotherapist or something because I couldn't tell my wife at the hospital when I picked her up could I?

She was a bit stressed herself at the time!

Hoping it all gets a bit better but never the less, dreading the 17th of June when it all kicks-off now, or we hope it will. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Ah Steve - what a rollercoaster ride for you.
You could have got the cushion from Amazon, next day delivery.
She may need a frame to support her getting out of bed.
And Steve - if you had contacted Age Concern, a volunteer would have taken your wife to the hospital - keep that in mind ........
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

03-06-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Ah Steve - what a rollercoaster ride for you.
You could have got the cushion from Amazon, next day delivery.
She may need a frame to support her getting out of bed.
And Steve - if you had contacted Age Concern, a volunteer would have taken your wife to the hospital - keep that in mind ........
Thanks Patsy - never thought of looking on Amazon!

Frames and things I can get no problem but asking Age Concern for help wouldn't go down well with my wife but I'll mention it anyway and ask up the road on Friday perhaps.

My wife's always insisting she doesn't need help and that's old-fashioned pride talking- we all do a bit of that don't we?
I've got someone trying to help me that wants me to go on a residential course for people losing their hearing but I'm avoiding answering on that too, mainly because it's not possible at all at the moment!

Pride again though........ stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 07:29 PM

It's easy for me to say Steve but try not to let your wife see you panicking, she doesn't need any extra worry this side of her operation.

You definitely need some help so I would forget your pride in this instance and take up Patsy's suggestion of contacting Age Concern who may be able to take some of the pressure off you.

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top