Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Statins

Anyone on statins and did you have any side effects? My cholesterol has come back as 5.2 which Dr. says is a bit high and suggested I go on statins but am very reluctant as I still do not think the long term effects are known. I have good diet but weakness is milk chocolate and cake - will try and cut those out first to see if it lowers. Already use Soya milk, eat loads of fish, particularly trout and salmon , and have a Flora proactive drink every day plus get plenty of exercise.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Re: Statins

My cholesterol level is similar to yours Buttercup and the recommended guideline level for cholesterol is always being reduced. I made a bargain with my GP and said I would try to get my level down in the next 6 months. I am not sure about taking Statins as my good cholesterol was fine and the other was only borderline. The people I know who are on Statins don't seem to have sidelines and it is supposed to be safe - but it is still a drug and generally I try not to take anything unless I really have to.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 10:23 PM

Diet is the key - and like you I would try to avoid drugs wherever possible.

Cut that cake and chocolate out!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Easy to say Azz, but if you are a chocoholic like me its very hard. The cake I can do but chocolate .....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Diet is the key - and like you I would try to avoid drugs wherever possible.

Cut that cake and chocolate out!!
Yes, send it to me!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

05-10-2010, 10:31 PM

No way Mags - if I don't get my chocolate I am not nice to know Anyway, I have been told by a very reliable source (my sister-in-law) that it may not be the chocolate (and I really want to believe her )
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2010, 10:31 PM

I was the worst chocoholic going

But it is actually easy to give up. Once you give up _all_ artificially flavoured/sweetened things your taste buds adjust and go back to their normal thresholds. Things like nuts/fruit taste so good again
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

05-10-2010, 10:37 PM

But Azz, nuts and fruits always taste good to me (as well as chocolate)
uk sandra
Gateshead UK
uk sandra is female 

21-01-2011, 08:04 PM

I`ve been on the highest dose for the last three years with no side effects at all. I`m not overweight, eat very little fat and get a lot of exercise but mine was 7. My two sisters are also on it and neither of them are overweight but our mother died of a heart attack in her 50s so I think it must be genetic.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

21-01-2011, 08:46 PM

My GP thought I should consider going onto Statins as my "bad" cholesterol level was "borderline" and that "borderline" was based on current revised guidelines which had lowered the criteria for prescribing Statins - These revised guidelines meant I just fell into the new criteria - not because my level had changed - they just widened the net.

I said I would prefer to wait and as I have to go for regular reviews, for something else, I said I would think after another blood test six months on.

Now, very recently, I notice in the press that research is indicating that Statins are considered not to be of benefit in many of the cases where they have been routinely prescribed.

I am fairly cynical and wonder if this is going to end in another change of policy/criteria now that economies (including prescribing ones) are being made to cope with overspending and cuts in budgets.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top