Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 04:40 PM

Re: Winter Fuel Payment

Originally Posted by May ->
We've had this conversation before on here,and the consensus was it would be far too costly to the Government to means test....so..if You don't want/need Yours,then give it to someone who does..I know the Salvation Army and every other charitable organisation would be delighted to take it off Your hands,and just think how virtuous You'll feel afterwards.
That's a good idea May!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Seems simple to me, if you aren't claiming any benefits already then you probably don't need it, so start there by just continuing the payments to those already in need and on benefit and let anyone else apply for it with proof of their need.

Personally I'd rather the government didn't dish it out in the first place (along with many other benefits just doled out as election bribes)...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Me too, my sister doesn't even know that it sneaks into her account, it's not even small change to her.
I can't wait to get my pension next November, unless it gets changed again!

People under pension age can get Warm Home Discount from some energy suppliers if they have disabilities or children under a certain age, they'd need to check whether they qualify. It's about £140 and is taken off the electricity bill not given in cash.
You can claim it if your annual income is below £16,000, and some suppliers allow you to choose whether to have it taken off Gas or Electricity.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 04:57 PM

As for the Winter Fuel Allowance - I am very grateful for it. Mine arrived yesterday. I keep a separate bank account for fuel costs and have already ready paid it into there.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
You can claim it if your annual income is below £16,000, and some suppliers allow you to choose whether to have it taken off Gas or Electricity.
My state pension and my private one adds up to 8k a year.

But because I have over 16k in savings I cannot claim for any thing.

Its nice that the Government gives us old sods something to keep us warm in the winter.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
As for the Winter Fuel Allowance - I am very grateful for it. Mine arrived yesterday. I keep a separate bank account for fuel costs and have already ready paid it into there.

Me too Tabs. I am grateful for it too.

Mine was paid in couple of weeks ago, and this week I noticed the £10 Christmas bonus was paid in too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
My state pension and my private one adds up to 8k a year.

But because I have over 16k in savings I cannot claim for any thing.

Its nice that the Government gives us old sods something to keep us warm in the winter.

Galty, maybe you ought to double check on that.

I believe you can claim if your fuel bills come to more than either 10% or 20% (not sure which) of your annual income.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top