Join for free
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-08-2011, 04:40 PM

The 2011/2012 Football Season - Fans Thread

The new season is nearly upon us with most competitions getting under way in the next two weeks, I thought we would start a new thread to rave about our successes or moan about the defeats.

Whatever we discuss I wish every supporter and fan of the game all the best for the new term.

Good luck to everyone.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Re: The 2011/2012 Football Season - Fans Thread

The same to you Hammer and hopefully your lads will get back up to the Premiership at the first time of asking. All the best.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 04:23 PM

I am not a football fan myself but my Dad was a lifetime Derby County supporter and got great enjoyment from following the game . Perhaps if I had been a boy I might have shared his passion.

When Dad died and I was clearing out the house I found many old programmes and on top of the wardrobe an ancient chart, a sort of league table with little pieces that could be moved up and down. I think he may have had it since he was a boy.

Enjoy your football this year chaps and may the best team win
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Thanks Meg, hopefully it is going to be a season to savour for all the right things.
I see Derby County beat Birmingham City today
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 06:31 PM

yes Bob and Scotland beat the Irish after all my bragging!
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

06-08-2011, 08:22 PM

Just shows you Annie, you can't win them all

I watched Liverpool playing in their last pre season match and they beat a very useful Valencia side 2-0 at Anfield, Andy Carrol and Dirk Kuyt netting the goals in a much improved display from the men in Red, unfortunately Glen Johnson again only managed a few minutes, he is really struggling with injuries, so fortunate to, have the likes of youngsters Kelly and Flanagan who can step in and do a decent job. Now it's look forward to next Saturday and the first game of the Premiership versus Sunderland at Anfield.
In the meantime I shall have a look at your lads Hammer, playing Cardiff City in the Championship tomorrow at Upton Park, kick off 1pm and it's on BBC1 but I guess you know that
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2011, 10:13 PM

He may do but I didnt, thanks.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-08-2011, 05:38 PM

After todays game It would be all too easy to fall once again into the trap of 'same old, same old' so I will try and put a positive spin on the proceedings.

We started bright enough and played some decent stuff in patches but as Cardiff gained belief our patches became sticking plasters to hide some pretty woeful shortcomings.
We just did not seem to have the nouse to unpick a good but not brilliant defence, we still do not have a striker who can score goals.

Bob Green pulled off a few decent saves, but made a ricket with the goal. I have always admired him but am beginning to think he should move on for his sake as well as ours.

Tomkins had a good game both in attack and defence and young Reid did well. Mr Illunga had a decent first half but a mare of the second but he needs to be told how to clear his lines.
Mark Noble seems to have found his niche, solid, dependable without being flash, good distribution. Scott Parker was well off and seemed a bit bemused, perhaps looking toward north London.

Sadly Freddie Sears, a kid I think who could make it with some coaching, never got into the game today at all and should have been replaced at half time. Piquionne started ok but got fed up and did little.

Of the new boys, Nolan, nothing special, missed a sitter but we can but hope for better.
Matt Taylor was a revelation and our best player by far. He looked interested and was really the only player who created anything.

The subs? fumble feet Cole; Did he really come on? well yes he did and stood on the ball from the off, no change there then. Collison, made no impact at all.
Barrera on the other hand Might've done if he had got on for Sears earlier.

Oh and before I forget, Cardiff City? They were allowed to play as well as they did and that is to take nothing from them, they nicked a winner at the death and good luck to them.

Same old, same old for our lot?, a horrible feeling of deja vu has decended over Hammer Towers.
A lot of work to do Sam, and all of it uphill.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK

07-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Despite long periods of superiority, especially in the first half, the Hammers were left pointless at the start of their new season as Cardiff came up with a stoppage time winner to prevail 1-0. Some good football by both sides and I got the feeling that these two will be somewhere around the play offs at least as the season eventually closes, a long long way to go I know but it's just a personal hunch.
Did you watch it at all Annie?
In the clash of the Manchester clubs, United came back from 0-2 down at half time to seal a dramatic victory 3-2 in the Community Shield at Wembley, the champions serve notice!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-08-2011, 10:07 PM

In the clash of the Manchester clubs, United came back from 0-2 down at half time to seal a dramatic victory 3-2 in the Community Shield at Wembley, the champions serve notice!
Yes indeed Bob they do serve notice, I am a bit relieved we are not in the prem after seeing them perform today.

I only saw the highlights but that was enough to see how much strength in depth they have.
They seem to have set yet another benchmark, should be a good season.

I also watched a little showing of one Paulo Di Canio's first run out as Swindons manager. Interesting.

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top