Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 06:27 AM

Re: I really don't understand.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If you're a road user and you find out someone hasn't passed a test then would you feel it's a duty to report them? After all they cannot possibly be insured and if they hit someone they have no recourse to claim. It would be the DVLA who should be informed. I wouldn't personally report someone but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing so.
I'd mind my own business.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I'd mind my own business.
You would mind you're own business ,even if he could knock and kill a child or grown up,

What I don't understand is,you telling me to mind my own business,..yet you have chosen to put medieval Caltrops down on private/council land?...all because of what?

Do you have no concern for human life?

Also people like me keep people like him off the road,or maybe everyone should mind their own business ,...the place would be over run with hooligans if we all did that,...or maybe we should leave it solely to the police,"not"!!

Why do you think we have crime stoppers,DVLA?

Encouraging us to report...why should I not report them?..you're reply I'm sure will be interesting.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
You would mind you're own business ,even if he could knock and kill a child or grown up,

What I don't understand is,you telling me to mind my own business,..yet you have chosen to put medieval Calthrops down on private/council land?

Do you have no concern for human life?
Would I mind my own business? YES. while what he was doing was not affecting me then why get involved? Seriously.

If he was a dirty priest or a neighborhood kiddie-flasher then that sort of thing crosses a line but if I SUSPECTED he was driving without a full licence then no.

Caltrops as a no parking aid? Why not! But there was no mention of the land being council land, the impression given was that it was land owned, not alloted by the council. If such is the case that bollard would have disappeared in a matter of days if not hours!

Where respect for human life is concerned a caltrop will deflate a tyre in less time than it would take to even open the door and start the car.

Now cutting a brake pipe, that's a different matter as is wrapping an oil impregnated rag round the exhaust pipe under the car as close to the engine as possible.

After a couple of miles there's a bit of smoke closely followed by fire once the flash point is reached, and close to the engine an exhaust pipe gets close to I not actual dull red heat. So do some catalytic converters.

Same with all but removing the nuts of steering knuckle joints so that steering control is lost after a couple of miles, or removing all but one wheel nut and backing it off so that the wheel or wheels drop off at speed.

All these things were done, and more, where I grew up and all done from outside of the car.

A caltrop? Trivial and just an expensive nuscience.

Putting screws in the tread of tyres so that they penetrate the tyre once the car moves but usually don't very rapidly deflate it but cause it to blow out at some point - THAT is showing no respect for human life.

Maybe having obviously pissed off neighbours it might be a good idea to carefully check one's car prior to taking it on the road?

Remember, all these things get done when one pissed off the wrong people.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

29-05-2019, 07:24 AM

Also people like me keep people like him off the road,or maybe everyone should mind their own business ,...the place would be over run with hooligans if we all did that,...or maybe we should leave it solely to the police,"not"!!

Why do you think we have crime stoppers,DVLA?

Encouraging us to report...why should I not report them?..you're reply I'm sure will be interesting.
Crime Stoppers are to provide the means for grassing up serious crime, not pissant things like driving without a license. That sort of thing wastes time and resources that could be much better used on serious crime.

The DVLA is concerned with issuing and maintaining data bases of driving licenses, MOT certification, insurance status, and VED. Putting the squeak in about a suspected unlicensed driver is pointless. If the person is without a license then they won't show up as having one during police check.

The idea that so called "public spirited people" keep hooligans of the streets is simply wrong. Witnessing a crime and calling the police, that's one thing, but curtain twitchers are an entirely different matter.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 07:25 AM

Would I mind my own business? YES. while what he was doing was not affecting me then why get involved? Seriously.

If he was a dirty priest or a neighborhood kiddie-flasher then that sort of thing crosses a line but if I SUSPECTED he was driving without a full licence then no.

Caltrops as a no parking aid? Why not! But there was no mention of the land being council land, the impression given was that it was land owned, not alloted by the council. If such is the case that bollard would have disappeared in a matter of days if not hours!

Where respect for human life is concerned a caltrop will deflate a tyre in less time than it would take to even open the door and start the car.

Now cutting a brake pipe, that's a different matter as is wrapping an oil impregnated rag round the exhaust pipe under the car as close to the engine as possible.

After a couple of miles there's a bit of smoke closely followed by fire once the flash point is reached, and close to the engine an exhaust pipe gets close to I not actual dull red heat. So do some catalytic converters.

Same with all but removing the nuts of steering knuckle joints so that steering control is lost after a couple of miles, or removing all but one wheel nut and backing it off so that the wheel or wheels drop off at speed.

All these things were done, and more, where I grew up and all done from outside of the car.

A caltrop? Trivial and just an expensive nuscience.

Putting screws in the tread of tyres so that they penetrate the tyre once the car moves but usually don't very rapidly deflate it but cause it to blow out at some point - THAT is showing no respect for human life.

Maybe having obviously pissed off neighbours it might be a good idea to carefully check one's car prior to taking it on the road?

Remember, all these things get done when one pissed off the wrong people.

I believe in honesty,that you should be taking you're own advice,

Also,I read,you thought about slashing you're neighbours tyres,putting super glue in the door,where it's opened with a key..."seriously"!!..something tells me,you're advice will fall on "deaf"! ears!...you sure are a law abiding citizen !

Sorry I think you need to get together with some of my neighbours,you sound alike.

You must have p.s.e. off quite a few neighbours!.

Edit to add,to even think of doing the above,sure says a lot about you,also if you lived near me and I could prove what you were doing,I would report you...nasty,nasty,action !

In fact I would go as far to say,that the action you have taken is "sick"!..
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

29-05-2019, 07:48 AM

I believe in honesty,that you should be taking you're own advice,

Also,I read,you thought about slashing you're neighbours tyres,putting super glue in the door,where it's opened with a key.

Sorry I think you need to get together with some of my neighbours,you sound alike.

You must have p.s.e. off quite a few neighbours!.
I grew up in what can only be described as a rough neighborhood, or more accurately abutting one.

Although I concentrated on keeping my nose clean, well mostly, and on study nevertheless I did have good friends who were bad lads and a couple who grew up to become major criminals.

As a consequence I think I'm something of an enigma. On one hand in many ways rough as r-soles, on the other - well not sure but not a total villain!

As for annoying or otherwise displeasing neighbours, nah. Don't cross us to any serious extent and were just the equivalent to the folks who live on the hill 'cept here in Constable Country there ain't o hills"!

BTW - I wrote 'we' because the memsahib is pretty much the same as me.

Edited to add and in connection with my being as I am ---

Whatever. I live in a nice house on the edge of a small Suffolk village, I managed to retire in my early 50's in 2000, my wife has never had to go to work, so whatever I am it's served me well.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

29-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Crime Stoppers are to provide the means for grassing up serious crime, not pissant things like driving without a license. That sort of thing wastes time and resources that could be much better used on serious crime.

The DVLA is concerned with issuing and maintaining data bases of driving licenses, MOT certification, insurance status, and VED. Putting the squeak in about a suspected unlicensed driver is pointless. If the person is without a license then they won't show up as having one during police check.

The idea that so called "public spirited people" keep hooligans of the streets is simply wrong. Witnessing a crime and calling the police, that's one thing, but curtain twitchers are an entirely different matter.

That's all in you're own opinion,I choose to "differ"!..IMO,..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

29-05-2019, 07:55 AM

Anyway,I have just found out,that the couple who have taken up 3 car spaces,have no insurance no tax and no mot,on one of their cars,DVLA!..here I come,..they may have done a sorn though...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

29-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Anyway,I have just found out,that the couple who have taken up 3 car spaces,have no insurance no tax and no mot,on one of their cars,DVLA!..here I come,..they may have done a sorn though...
I'm starting to think that you're trolling!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

29-05-2019, 08:06 AM

I'm starting to think that you're trolling!

Of course you would!.

Stands to reason,why you think that way,I am standing up for what I believe in.

And you don't "like it"!!.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top