Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 09:11 AM

The importance of getting married

I have never understood why people live together for years and have children dont get married .
If anything happens to one or the other it causes so many problems .

Like the woman here .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

While I feel sorry for her loss the reasons given for not getting married are trivial .

Marriage does not need to take time or money you can get married in a register office for very little expense .

When one loves someone and have underage children why on earth would you NOT marry and give them some sort of security .?
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Re: The importance of getting married

I thought the law had been adjusted to allow for unmarried couples. And, really, in this day and age, why is marriage held in such high esteem?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Because of the subsequent legal problems that you encounter if you are not married .

If everyone could claim everything without being married it opens up an easy way to commit fraud .

If you live with someone for years , love them and have young children to consider why would you not get married ?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I thought the law had been adjusted to allow for unmarried couples. And, really, in this day and age, why is marriage held in such high esteem?
I agree to a certain point, if a couple don't want to get married that's fine, but if kids are involved I think the Parents should get married.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Time to marry when a child is due or born .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Far better to live together first to see if you are suited, I don't think marriage is a big deal these days.

We have been married for 50 years next week but have no plans to celebrate, just not us. I hope our kids think the same.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 02:11 PM

I am married (30) years. My wife and I love being married and believe in marriage as an institution. Not for religious reasons. We just took our vows seriously and always lived by them. I treasure our marriage and our relationship and the son we had together. However, I do understand why some people don't marry and know people who have been together as long as us and take their relationship and parenthood just as seriously. We don't ask ourselves why that is. We just accept it because it's their business. On the legal side, if there are differences it's up to the individual to be aware of them. Same deal.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 02:54 PM

IMO marriage between men and women, PROPER marriage, is more than just a good idea once there is a high degree of confidence that a permanent relationship is what they both want.

Note I avoid the use of committment because while "forsaking all others" is a thing that is to be highly desired some degree of freedom can be a good thing if in moderation.

Sadly marriage per se has been awfully devalued and even tainted by people in - let me just say abnormal - relationships demanding some horrible parody of marriage.

The memsahib and I have chalked up 43 years so far.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

08-08-2019, 06:41 PM

I was married 22 years to my first husband and now 20 with Mr M.
I love him and am proud to be his wife .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 06:57 PM

I love being married. I don't really understand why some people don't want to commit if they have been together a good while, especially if they have children, but then, some people are afraid of commitment.

I think it's a shame that marriage is dying out, young people tending to opt for just living together.

I find young people seem to give up on a relationship these days instead of working through the problems and coming out the other side together.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top