Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 10:44 PM

Re: The importance of getting married

There is a lot of Confusing stuff going on, where is Confucius when you need him.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 10:55 PM

It is confusing it’s hard to get ones head around men who have husbands and women who have wives but I’m getting used to it .

It’s pretty much accepted these days .

And if there are children involved it’s best that people are married .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 06:40 AM

I've been married a long time too 40 odd years ...I take my wedding vows seriously having said that I'm not sure it's necessary to actually be married...for me the main advantage was when the kids were little and we all had the same name....that mattered to me not sure why.

I suppose too now we are older it makes sense from a legal point of view regarding pensions and inheritance when one of us pops their clogs, not that either of us is planning that any time soon
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It is confusing it’s hard to get ones head around men who have husbands and women who have wives but I’m getting used to it .

It’s pretty much accepted these days .

And if there are children involved it’s best that people are married .
Why? Being married doesn't necessarily make you a better parent, or staying together for the sake of the children if you don't get on.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 10:38 AM

Hello earth to Tara see OP
It makes things easier for your partner and children if you die .
Especially if you die unexpectedly and have young dependant children and a mortgage to pay .
Children are generally but not always better off with TWO parents .
Marriage is some sort of commitment .
If you love someone why would you not want to marry them ?
Why would you not want them to be protected in the event of your death?
No one has given me an answer to this .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Hello earth to Tara see OP
It makes things easier for your partner and children if you die .
Especially if you die unexpectedly and have young dependant children and a mortgage to pay .
Children are generally but not always better off with TWO parents .
Marriage is some sort of commitment .
If you love someone why would you not want to marry them ?
Why would you not want them to be protected in the event of your death?
No one has given me an answer to this .
I don't think marriage necessary in this day and age it is a rather old fashioned idea, especially as so many marriages bite the dust pretty quickly these days, and cost a fortune to dissolve. You should make a will, and set up a trust ensuring your partner and children's financial support if you die, is all that is needed imo.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2019, 12:12 PM

That is rather a simple vewi of life .
If people can't be bothered to marry their loved ones ( it only needs a quick trip to the register office ) they are unlikely to set up trusts for them ( trusts are complicated and expensive) and young people are notoriously bad at writing wills.
They think they are immortal .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I don't think marriage necessary in this day and age it is a rather old fashioned idea, especially as so many marriages bite the dust pretty quickly these days, and cost a fortune to dissolve. You should make a will, and set up a trust ensuring your partner and children's financial support if you die, is all that is needed imo.
Marriage has become devalued, recently "marriages" that are a sick parody of the real deal, but leading up to it is the ease by which marriages can be ended.

Marriage has to be worked at and it's not easy at times but for kids seeing the rough patches and then seeing the resolutions sends a very powerful message about marriage not being a bed of roses so that when they encounter the rough times in their marriage it doesn't come as a shock.

It also shows them that the rough times can be survived and and the marriage can be even stronger and grow in strength over time.

Obviously there are red lines. Violence is one. IMO violence is an absolute show stopper. Sexual abuse of the kids is another show stopper.

Involvement in crime, not necessarily, at least up to a point, and a "bit on the side" IMO should not always be a reason to break up.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2019, 12:23 PM

That is rather a simple vewi of life .
If people can't be bothered to marry their loved ones ( it only needs a quick trip to the register office ) they are unlikely to set up trusts for them ( trusts are complicated and expensive) and young people are notoriously bad at writing wills.
They think they are immortal .
People are very silly putting off making a wils. My husband and I made our wills as soon as we married, even though we were very young, we update them every so often. My husband's best friend, who is also in his 70s, is unmarried and keeps putting off making a will. If he dies intestate the country in which he is living will get all his dosh. We keep nagging him about it, saying it would be far better if a good cause got his money, especially as he is very well off.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Wills?

We're boracic.

All but potless.*

Don't own our own house, all we have are our old cars and a few tsatskes.

Even old Snot is his own cat.

All that we get is the state age related Benefit. We don't even have bus passes.

When we snuff it there's no point in leaving a will except maybe for any old cars we have at the time.

* Potless Google "haven't got a pot to piss in origin"

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top