Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Trees and light

I love trees but I love light too .
It makes me angry to see the selfishness of some people who block light to their neighbours .
And the useless council who condone this behaviour .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-darkness.html
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 07:07 PM

Re: Trees and light

You are so right Muddy, these firs are terrible ,not meant for peoples back garden IMO I think when they are planted ,no-one really realises just how large they are going to get
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:03 PM

Conifers are not indigenous trees and are extremely fast growing. When planted in residential areas I believe they should only be allowed to grow no more than ten or twelve foot. Deciduous trees take fifty or more years to grow into adult trees and lose their leaves in winter anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
You are so right Muddy, these firs are terrible ,not meant for peoples back garden IMO I think when they are planted ,no-one really realises just how large they are going to get

Totally agree, Apricot.

People plant these sort of trees, but rarely bother to maintain them regularly - if at all. It's a bit of a raw subject for me!

I had a long running house insurance claim forsubsidence several years back, and it was eventually discovered that THREE of my surrounding neighbours' tree roots were under my kitchen floor!
The investigators dug bore holes and found Walnut, Willow, and loads of Conifer roots.

So I definitely feel these trees should only be legal in parks, farm land and open spaces - definitely not in domestic gardens.
It caused me a lot of grief for a long time.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 09:54 PM

That is terrible Mups , my heart goes out to you .
x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
That is terrible Mups , my heart goes out to you .
x

Thank you, Apricot.
To say it was a stressful time would be putting it mildly.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 10:16 PM

Conifers attract flies, yuk.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 10:28 PM

If I go full swing on the issue of trees, it will go on all night. Neighbours ! I have spent a fortune over the years having their trees that overhang my garden cut back. Have taken down my conifers which were getting to tall to maintain. Taken down a fir tree at the request of one neighbour as it kept the morning sun off their patio.
In 20 yrs, not one of them have reduced or pruned their own trees, so along the border fence of my garden, there are now 4 holly each between 30/ 40ft high now, conifers, lilac, ivy, 3 massive lime trees, under which is a bungalow and a stable just behind, 2 different types of willow, and numerous saplings that just grow and grow. Their garden is like a jungle and mine is so dark now, once the sun goes behind the lime trees around 2pm.. that's it for the day. With a south/ west facing garden sometimes I feel like crying. All the shrubs are fighting for light at the bottom of the garden, the fruit patch doesn't get enough to grow strawberries any longer , and the grass is mostly moss . I can't reach the overhanging branches of the trees any longer and they all seem to grow towards me and continue to block out more light each year. I spent £350 in July having mine cut back and don't see why I should pay for their too. The council laws need to be changed because the conifers that were so common at one time, can do massive damage structurally.
Yes, I have mentioned it to the neighbours.. I have asked them to either do some themselves or get someone in , but nothing has happened.
The other side the neighbour ripped panels out of my fence (which admittedly although still whole were probably in need of some maintenance) I asked him what he was doing , he said he was taking it to the community bonfire !
He said it needed replacing, so I agreed, and he said he would pay half but he wanted his own guy to do it because being in a rather 'up market property' he was concerned about strangers. His guy didn't come. I found someone who would do it , a friend of a friend, who said he could have repaired the fence panels. Anyway I opted to go for new panels, 14 of them in total. Had the work done , spoke to my neighbour who said he'd give half the cost the following week. I haven't set eyes on him since and his gates are locked the minute he arrives home from work , since twelve months last June.
So you see, I get really annoyed, particularly people who won't look after their trees.
Having lived through the storms of 1987 in East Anglia , some of these trees frighten the life out of me now, when we see the size and the weight of those branches. They could easily be uprooted and go through the roofs of houses and bungalows, which many did in 1987.

Sorry, rant over...... I did give fair warning though .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 10:40 PM

Oh my goodness !
I am so sorry Mups and PD that you had /have a bad time with this problem .

This is the law

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...to-the-council

But the council needs to implement it which they seem to be reluctant to do.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I love trees but I love light too .
It makes me angry to see the selfishness of some people who block light to their neighbours .
And the useless council who condone this behaviour .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-darkness.html
it is not always selfishness Muddy. We have 4 huge Oak trees in our garden that not only block light from our garden but also incurs in the neighbours.

These trees have TPO'S (tree preservation orders) on them. We applied to the council to have them topped ,not only for light but safety. we wanted them reduced only by a third.

this is their repy***REFUSED CONSENT*******

A DELETED ADDRESSES

so before blaming neighbours sometimes the local council won't allow it
we were only allow to cut out dead branches -some off the main trunk and a small bit that overhung next door.

What really annoyed me was France wanted 500 years old oak trees of our to be cut down so they could rebuild their stupid church.

They could have cut down their own trees.
What happens???? the government said yes take as many as you like and yet we can't just top ours

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top