Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Jewish Cookery Book

Hey - I am a happy bunny tonight. My ancient trusty Jewish Cookery Book, which I thought I had lost, has turned up again!

For reasons best known to itself it had migrated from the Cookery Bookshelf near the kitchen door to the Medical Bookshelf in the sitting room. Anyway 'tis found and to celebrate I am brewing up a cauldron of chicken soup! I love chicken soup and this book has the best recipe - ever!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 07:37 PM

Re: Jewish Cookery Book

Ah ... Jewish penicillin, what more could you need at times like these!

It's that time of year again ... chicken carcasses, onion. carrot, celery, pasta and secrets ...
AnneS
Morayshire, Scotland
AnneS is female  AnneS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 07:38 PM

I love home made chicken soup - it brings life to the soul.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Hey - I am a happy bunny tonight. My ancient trusty Jewish Cookery Book, which I thought I had lost, has turned up again!

For reasons best known to itself it had migrated from the Cookery Bookshelf near the kitchen door to the Medical Bookshelf in the sitting room. Anyway 'tis found and to celebrate I am brewing up a cauldron of chicken soup! I love chicken soup and this book has the best recipe - ever!
I love Jewish food and especially the Cure All..Chicken Soup
I will see if Amazon have a good Jewish Recipe Book.

Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:24 PM

Recipe please, ST
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:18 PM

I have a Jewish cookery book that a neighbour gave to me when they were selling their house and moving a couple of years ago. I haven't had a chance to cook any recipes and tbh I had totally forgotten about it until this thread!

I've just found the page with "Goldene Yoich" which is chicken soup.

1 boiling fowl : 1 or 2 sets of giblets can be used instead
1 large onion
2 carrots sliced lengthways
piece of parsley root
1 stick of celery
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
water to cover
parsley to garnish

remove all fat from scalded fowl. Prepare and slice vegetables. Put fowl in a large saucepan. Add the veg and seasoning, cover with water. Bring to boil. Remove scum. Simmer for 3 hours or until tender. Remove fowl and serve immediately, sprinkle with chopped parsley serve with lochshen (which appear to be noodles).

The book was published in 1973 by Octopus. I wonder if we have the same one.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:55 PM

This is the recipe I use:-

BEST EVER CHICKEN SOUP

INGREDIENTS – serves 6 -8

3 lbs chicken cut into portions (I use breast meat)
3 Onions – quartered.
6 pints of water
5 celery stalks – sliced
4 carrots – sliced (I leave these out if I am going to make it as Cream of Chicken soup - they spoil the colour)
1 small parsnip – sliced
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped dill
Pinch of turmeric
2 chicken stock cubes
2 cloves of garlic – chopped
Salt and pepper to taste.

Put the chicken pieces in a very large pan/cauldron. Add the other ingredients – reserving half the dill to garnish.

Cover the pan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to simmer. Skim and discard any scum that rises to the surface.

Add the stock cubes and simmer for about 2 hours. Skim off any fat..

At this point you can decide on how you want your soup to look. Traditionally it would be served as it is now –clear and rather chunky – and with delicious little dumplings called knaidlach or lokshen (Noodles)

If you want a smoother, less chunky look you can blitz it in a blender.

Here’s where it becomes Cream of Chicken Soup.

Not sure if this bit is strictly kosher – but – after I have blitzed the soup and returned it to the cauldron - I make a liaison with two egg yolks, whisked into 6 x tablespoons of fresh single cream – a dash of dry white wine, and a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg.

Drizzle this carefully into the soup – stirring the whole time so it doesn’t split. Heat it through for a few minutes just to cook the egg yolks. Garnish with the remaining dill and serve immediately or package and freeze. Keeps for 4 - 6 months in the freezer. Needs whisking as it thaws or the cream will separate.

Enjoy!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

18-09-2019, 11:04 PM

Annie - just checked my book - and cannot see a date of publication. It is an ancient paperback that I have had since 1969 - poor old thing is held together with sellotape in places - it has been a good friend and I was sad when it went missing!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Annie - just checked my book - and cannot see a date of publication. It is an ancient paperback that I have had since 1969 - poor old thing is held together with sellotape in places - it has been a good friend and I was sad when it went missing!
Thanks for checking ST and I am so pleased you were reunited Mine is only a little younger but hardback with wonderful photos of dishes that would require true dedication, including many recipes with avocados. I will have to try to make an effort to use it because they do look both yummy and nutritious. My neighbour clearly wanted the book to go to a good home so I should really do it some justice. Thanks again for making me think of it!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 07:00 AM

BEST EVER CHICKEN SOUP

Thank you, ST - I will try this at the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top