Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Re: Yet another telephone scam?

I actually had one a while ago from ''BT'' (on my answerphone) saying that if I didn't press '1', I would be arrested.

I kid you not.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It makes me feel good though.
Better still is when it's one of those calls offering to "fix my Windows PC as there's a problem with it". I play along with them making out I don't know much about computers, then I ask which of my computers has the problem, is it the MacBook Pro or the iMac? Then silence and the call ends!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Better still is when it's one of those calls offering to "fix my Windows PC as there's a problem with it". I play along with them making out I don't know much about computers, then I ask which of my computers has the problem, is it the MacBook Pro or the iMac? Then silence and the call ends!
Even better to confuse such people of the phone is to say 'can you please explain that again? so you think the problem could be RedHat, Ubuntu or Gentoo???'

That will seriously mess with their brains
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Remember people, using BT's call blocking service or going ex-directory no longer works due to the fact that business are allowed to sell your personal data.
Why does my BT Call Blocker show me that 22 numbers have tried to get through to me and were not allowed?

Do you mean "number blocking"?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I had one about a year ago asking if I had had an accident. I told them I had but had since changed my pants.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I had one about a year ago asking if I had had an accident. I told them I had but had since changed my pants.

Oooh you're a mucky beastie, dongle.

I read only today about another phone call scam of people ringing saying they are from your GP surgery and an appointment has been made for you to attend for your year's flu jab.
They then ask you to pay up front over the phone.

I am sick to death of these people trying to hurt innocent people and take their money!
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:24 PM

The telephone numbers of those using them for scams are often ordinary BT numbers. The one I received this morning was an Essex area code so BT is making money out of supplying that number and the calls made from it. Surely there is a conflict of interests somewhere as BT also makes money out of the Caller Display telephones they sell. There is also a charge for having BT put a No Response block on your line (around £6 a month). If I can go to a website to check the number of an incoming call that I suspect is a scam and find hundreds of reports that it is then why is BT not doing the same and wiping out these scammers in that way?

Call me suspicious if you like but this has been going on for the years that it has and if BT really clamped down on it there would no longer be any scam calls. The problem is though, are they going to cut down on their profits? I doubt it somehow. It's different if calls are from abroad, which also happens, but not from UK area codes.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 08:45 PM

The telephone numbers of those using them for scams are often ordinary BT numbers. The one I received this morning was an Essex area code so BT is making money out of supplying that number and the calls made from it. Surely there is a conflict of interests somewhere as BT also makes money out of the Caller Display telephones they sell. There is also a charge for having BT put a No Response block on your line (around £6 a month). If I can go to a website to check the number of an incoming call that I suspect is a scam and find hundreds of reports that it is then why is BT not doing the same and wiping out these scammers in that way?

Call me suspicious if you like but this has been going on for the years that it has and if BT really clamped down on it there would no longer be any scam calls. The problem is though, are they going to cut down on their profits? I doubt it somehow. It's different if calls are from abroad, which also happens, but not from UK area codes.

You just answered your own question, Baz - money!

I read somewhere a while back, that a lot of these scammers from abroad are purchasing numbers that look from affluent areas in London or other big cities.

So who are they paying for these numbers? The phone companies? If so, no wonder they don't want to block them!
Baz46

14-10-2019, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You just answered your own question, Baz - money!

I read somewhere a while back, that a lot of these scammers from abroad are purchasing numbers that look from affluent areas in London or other big cities.

So who are they paying for these numbers? The phone companies? If so, no wonder they don't want to block them!
Yes Mups, I realise what is happening. My question was more of a sarcastic comment than a question really. Doesn't everything come down to money, no matter how it is obtained? Greed is, I reckon, the main cause of all the problems we see today. BT is one company I have had many run-ins with over their appalling service and complete lack of consideration for the customer. The Ombudsman is no better as all they do is quote BT's Terms & Conditions no matter how unfair they are to the customer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-10-2019, 09:00 PM

Yes Mups, I realise what is happening. My question was more of a sarcastic comment than a question really. Doesn't everything come down to money, no matter how it is obtained? Greed is, I reckon, the main cause of all the problems we see today. BT is one company I have had many run-ins with over their appalling service and complete lack of consideration for the customer. The Ombudsman is no better as all they do is quote BT's Terms & Conditions no matter how unfair they are to the customer.

I know what you mean, Baz, and agree.
I packed up BT a long while ago, too.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top